We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

7 nights in the Aeolians

7 posts
Save Topic
7 nights in the Aeolians

I have a 7 night stay booked at end of June into early July, 2 nights Lipari, 2 Stromboli, 3 Salina. I love to walk and enjoy independent travel using public transport. Am not worried about early starts and long climbs! Think I will skip Vulcano as plan to ascend Stromboli and would rather explore Lipari. Plan to spend a day on Panarea from Stromboli. Is it feasible to see some of Alicudi and Filicudi in one day from Salina if I caught an early ferry or should I plan on just exploring one if so which?! Are there any published maps avaliable in the UK as would really like to plan some routes? Many thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Lipari
Lipari
Aeolian Islands, Italy
Stromboli
Stromboli
Aeolian Islands, Italy
Isola Vulcano
Isola Vulcano
Aeolian Islands, Italy
Alicudi
Alicudi
Aeolian Islands, Italy
Filicudi
Filicudi
Aeolian Islands, Italy
7 replies to this topic
Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
112,301 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 7 nights in the Aeolians

Lipari is lovely to explore, but such a pity to miss an experience on Vulcano, and trekking Vulcano's Gran Cratere and enjoying the amazing views.

Crossings to Alicudi and Filicudi are limited, and so consult schedules with an eye to detail.

Aeolian Island 6 day itinerary:

https:/…91724981

You would better know what would be available in the UK, but check Stanfords.

Vagabonda

Mentioned in this post
Lipari
Lipari
Aeolian Islands, Italy
Isola Vulcano
Isola Vulcano
Aeolian Islands, Italy
Alicudi
Alicudi
Aeolian Islands, Italy
Filicudi
Filicudi
Aeolian Islands, Italy
Aeolian Islands
Aeolian Islands
Islands of Sicily, Italy
Milazzo, Italy
Level Contributor
329 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 7 nights in the Aeolians

Amber W,

KOMPASS has a little guide/map book of the Islands.

www.kompass.de #693 it is in several languages.

The hike up the Gran Cratere of Vulcano is considered by many hikers to be worth it. From what I hear working with tourist in the islands it comes in 2nd after Stromboli in the order of most appreciated hikes. It offers amazing views (as Vagabonda already mentioned).

If you spend a lot of time exploring/hiking Lipari you may want to stop by the NESOS office (http://www.nesos.org/) and pick up their hiking guide.

I would focus on Filicudi (not Alicudi) if you only have one day and have to go back and forth from Salina. I

Ciao,

Cristian

Mentioned in this post
Isola Vulcano
Isola Vulcano
Aeolian Islands, Italy
Lipari
Lipari
Aeolian Islands, Italy
Filicudi
Filicudi
Aeolian Islands, Italy
Alicudi
Alicudi
Aeolian Islands, Italy
Level Contributor
128 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: 7 nights in the Aeolians

I've got the kompass map and I can say that is quite accurate regarding Salina.

Can't say so regarding Filicudi because some - if not many - of the tracks that are showed on the map are not in use anymore.

I think that if tou only have one day you have to choose between Alicudi or Filicudi.

Filicudi has more hiking options but since you have limited time this is not a big factor.

After seeing them both, I would personally choose Alicudi for a day trip but this is strictly a personal choice, they are both worth a visit.

The hike to the "gran cratere" takes no more than 2,5/3 hours. You can do that as an half day trip from Lipari or even on the way back to Milazzo (leaving your luggage at the port).

Mentioned in this post
Filicudi
Filicudi
Aeolian Islands, Italy
Alicudi
Alicudi
Aeolian Islands, Italy
Lipari
Lipari
Aeolian Islands, Italy
Milazzo
Milazzo
Sicily, Italy
Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
7,802 posts
378 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 7 nights in the Aeolians

I hiked on Vulcano on my way from Milazzo to Lipari.

I also went hiking for one day on Filicudi by aliscafo from Salina.

Mentioned in this post
Isola Vulcano
Isola Vulcano
Aeolian Islands, Italy
Milazzo
Milazzo
Sicily, Italy
Lipari
Lipari
Aeolian Islands, Italy
Filicudi
Filicudi
Aeolian Islands, Italy
7 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 7 nights in the Aeolians

Thanks Vagabonda will rethink and include a day on Vulcano from Lipari to complete the climb.

Mentioned in this post
Isola Vulcano
Isola Vulcano
Aeolian Islands, Italy
Lipari
Lipari
Aeolian Islands, Italy
7 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 7 nights in the Aeolians

Dear Cristian, thank you for the tip about the kompass book will definitely try to get a copy. Would love to have more time to do both Filicudi and Alicudi but the advice just to see Filicudi is valuable.

Mentioned in this post
Filicudi
Filicudi
Aeolian Islands, Italy
Alicudi
Alicudi
Aeolian Islands, Italy
7 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 7 nights in the Aeolians

Fantastic info re timings to climb to crater on Vulcano. Much easier to fit in and will definitely include in my itinerary. As you say as I only have one day I won't be able to explore that far off the beaten track and will be tied to ferry times. Still undecided on the Alicudi/Filicudi part but think the rest of my trip is sorted, thank you all for your help!

Mentioned in this post
Isola Vulcano
Isola Vulcano
Aeolian Islands, Italy
Alicudi
Alicudi
Aeolian Islands, Italy
Filicudi
Filicudi
Aeolian Islands, Italy
Reply to: 7 nights in the Aeolians
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted