We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bucerias vs Sayulita

Lafayette...
Level Contributor
47 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Bucerias vs Sayulita

Hoping to hear from someone who has stayed at both recently. We currently have a family trip(all adults ranging from 21 to 56 years old) scheduled for Sayulita in early May. One adult has digestive issues and am getting worried after reading the posts on Sayulita and the water quality. I really want the small town feel of Sayulita, jungle atmosphere, but not the bacteria, stomach upset. Is Bucerias a better option or is Sayulita still a good option? Our family will be interested in swimming in the ocean, possible surfing or kite surfing, ziplinning, checking out the tequila tasting and being near a fun, small town with delicious food choices. Please recommend?!! THANK YOU

14 replies to this topic
Calgary
Destination Expert
for Nuevo Vallarta
Level Contributor
1,853 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Bucerias vs Sayulita

Bucerias is a good location for ocean swimming & kiteboarding (May is a great time of year for winds), and I believe there's some tequila tasting around. For surfing, you'd normally have to head up towards Punta de Mita. There are surfing shops in Bucerias that could help you arrange that. There are also a couple of good tour companies based in Bucerias - Scott's & JD Tours - that offer excursions such as ziplining, ATV rides, etc. (see links below).

You won't get a jungle feel in Bucerias, and the vibe is completely different from Sayulita. Bucerias is more of a traditional small Mexican town, although it is of course very tourism-oriented. It doesn't have the surfer / hippy / crafty / party vibe of Sayulita, but there's a fair bit of tourist-oriented entertainment available. Tourists in Bucerias are generally older than what you find in Sayulita, but based on the age range of your group, you should fit right in.

Tourism usually drops off quite a bit by the end of April, so it shouldn't be too busy in early May. It's a great time of year to go!

Although many will disagree, I would personally avoid going to Sayulita until they get the health situation under control - why risk spending your hard-earned vacation time hugging a toilet?

https://www.tripadvisor.ca/Attraction_Review…

https://www.tripadvisor.ca/Attraction_Review…

Vancouver, B.C.
Level Contributor
3,144 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bucerias vs Sayulita

Switch to Bucerias, you will not be sorry.

B.C.Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Nayarit
Level Contributor
12,082 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bucerias vs Sayulita

Don't take the risk.IMHO.

Try Bucerias or Punta de Mita..

Naperville, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Bucerias, Riviera Nayarit
Level Contributor
10,059 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bucerias vs Sayulita

Faith, You mentioned a "small town with delicious food choices". Take a look at the Restaurant Reviews for Bucerias and you'll see that it has oodles of terrific restaurants in various price ranges. Something for everyone!

Surrey, Canada
Level Contributor
5,866 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bucerias vs Sayulita

We love Bucerias.

Dallas
Destination Expert
for Bucerias
Level Contributor
793 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bucerias vs Sayulita

Hope it's not too late to switch to Bucerias. Sayulita would be a great day trip, but Bucerias is best for sure. Great restaurants. Wonderful people. Sayulita beaches are not as good in my opinion...rocky. And the terrain in Sayulita is a little tougher to navigate. But having said all that, if you don't change your plans, you will still love your vacation. If you stay in Sayulita, you must make a trip to Bucerias. Next trip, you will definitely pick Bucerias.

Dallas
Destination Expert
for Bucerias
Level Contributor
793 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bucerias vs Sayulita

And one other comment...Bucerias is closer to Puerto Vallarta. You can take a day trip through Vallarta up into the mountains south of there. Talk about jungle...that's where you will experience the best!

Bucerias, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Bucerias
Level Contributor
3,607 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bucerias vs Sayulita

I would definitely switch to Bucerias if possible especially with one person in your group already having digestive issues. I personally haven't gone to Sayulita for a couple of years now...because of the health issues there. I live here full time and I can't imagine going to a place that "may, or may not" make me ill. Until they fix the problems with the infrastructure in Sayulita, I'll stay away.

lancaster ohio
Level Contributor
328 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bucerias vs Sayulita

stay at bucerias for sure go to sayulita for a day trip only

san diego
Level Contributor
4 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bucerias vs Sayulita

I am planning my bi-annual ladies trip with 14 women in September 2018. We are looking at both options and would love recommendations. This forum was exactly what I was looking for, so I'm grateful. We range in age from 50-67, most of us are pretty active and "young.". We've been looking at Sayulita, but now these posts are causing me concern for food/water issues. We always try to schedule a couple of excursions, with the rest of the time spent hanging out with each other and experiencing the town where we're staying. With that in mind, what would you recommend.

Reply to: Bucerias vs Sayulita
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Bucerias