We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Short Hiking in Sinaia and Busteni

Sant Cugat del...
Level Contributor
13 posts
14 reviews
10 helpful votes
Short Hiking in Sinaia and Busteni
Save

Hi,

I will be spending a couple of days in Sinaia and Busteni next week and would like to do some small hikes, nothing difficult since I have no great hiking experience. I am thinking about one day in the Bucegi mountains (going up with cable car and doing some trails up there) and one in Sinaia (close to the castle). Are there trails like this for short hikes? Any nice tips? Thank you!

6 replies to this topic
Bucharest, Romania
Destination Expert
for Bucharest, Brasov
Level Contributor
10,404 posts
1. Re: Short Hiking in Sinaia and Busteni
Save

Yes, there are trails for any experience level.

Get a paper map from Sinaia.

Ploiesti, Romania
Level Contributor
77 posts
58 reviews
24 helpful votes
2. Re: Short Hiking in Sinaia and Busteni
Save

Hey Maria,

Your idea is good and the plan is simple and nice. Yes, you can get the cable car and once up at Babele you can go to the picks around: Omu, Caraiman etc. Although the distances might seem great (2-4km), the trails are very easy and there wont be much climbing going on. You can do any of them in less than 2 hours.

From Busteni you can also follow the trail going to Urlatoarea waterfall (it goes from the cable car straight into the forest), a trail that wont require too much training or experience (many old people and kids go there) and instead of returning to the cable car you can continue following the trail to Poiana Tapului (from where you can get the train to Sinaia) or directly to Sinaia. You will arrive at the Peles Castle and is better to go from Busteni to Sinaia than the other way around because you will descend more.

Have a nice trip!

London, United...
2 posts
3. Re: Short Hiking in Sinaia and Busteni
Save

I am also hoping to do something similar in mid November this year!

Will the tourism office be open then for me to pick up a map for some trails?

Will the trails still be accessible in mid November?

Thanks in advance!

Sally

Bucharest, Romania
Destination Expert
for Bucharest, Brasov
Level Contributor
10,404 posts
4. Re: Short Hiking in Sinaia and Busteni
Save

Hi

You can now use walking/hiking apps with GPS tracking like Muntii Nostri or Wkiloc.

The higher parts of some trails will be closed if there is snow, but there should still be plenty to do.

1 post
5. Re: Short Hiking in Sinaia and Busteni
Save

To whoever climbed to the Caraiman Cross by foot: I hiked up there about 9 years ago, and to be fair it seemed really hard to me. It took me about 4 hours and alot of sweat. I kinda want to climb up there tomorrow again, after 9 years and some training with the Italian Alps. And to be honest, I don't remember how hard it is. So to whoever climbed the hard way to the cross, how hard would you rate it from 1 to 10, 10 being only for experts? Thanks.

Bucharest, Romania
Destination Expert
for Bucharest, Brasov
Level Contributor
10,404 posts
6. Re: Short Hiking in Sinaia and Busteni
Save

From Babele there are two trails to the Caraiman cross: one passes near Caraiman peak and the other near Caraiman chalet then along Brana Mare a Caraimanului (this part may be scary for some).

Both are of medium difficulty. In normal weather they definitely can be done by most people, including children; all you need is good hiking boots.

Reply to: Short Hiking in Sinaia and Busteni
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Busteni
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Australia. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.