We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Two Queries - Wasps and driving

BIRMINGHAM
Level Contributor
12 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Two Queries - Wasps and driving

Just two niggling worries. Been to kefalonia a few times now. I know there were loads of wasps in September which I expected (as in UK), but now heard there could be loads in June too. Just want to be forewarned so I can be adequately protected.

Second query is with regard to driving. We have not driven in Kefalonia before. Is it a very dangerous and difficult route from Lassi to say Assos/Fiscardo/Agia Efima/myrtos beach/Scala? Not all on the same day of course. Any advice re safe routes would be appreciated and which resorts could we do in one day (perhaps two at a time?)getting back before it goes dark. Only hiring car for a couple of days or so.

If anyone could give me an idea on timescales re getting to these places I would be grateful too.

Mentioned in this post
Lassi
Lassi
Cephalonia, Greece
Assos
Assos
1,650 Reviews
Cephalonia, Greece
Fiscardo
Fiscardo
Cephalonia, Greece
14 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
4,664 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Two Queries - Wasps and driving

Hi, 1 answer, never seen that many bas***ds in Lassi June or Sept(been both) & I'm always on look out as alergif!! Places to avoid Wasp bay Ithica & Antisamos quarry(beach)😂🐝🐝🐝

Mentioned in this post
Lassi
Lassi
Cephalonia, Greece
Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
11,377 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Two Queries - Wasps and driving

Hi DRIVINGBELLE,

All the main roads on the island are wide enough for two coaches to pass each other except in the odd village where a bit of give and take is needed. You could easily do Skala in a day with time to stop off at Katelios and perhaps continue to Poros.

All the other places could be combined in one day providing you did not spend too much time at any of them.

I would start off both routes the same. Drive through Lassi away from the airport. At the end of this resort the road curves gently uphill. At the crest of the hill there are two right turns. The first is very sharp; the second, which you need, is a newish road in front of the Avin petrol station. Follow this road for just under 1.5km to a T junction where you turn left and follow the road to the end where there is a triangular patch of grass. Fork right here and turn on to the main road. After about 1km there is a roundabout where for Skala you go straight ahead.

For the other places take the second exit and head round the lagoon. After a couple of Km you come to a set of traffic lights. Go over these lights and follow the road round a bend to the right and past a couple of cemeteries on your right. You now have a choice. The more scenic route, but longer and for some, a worrying drive as it winds around the mountain; or a quicker route through the mountains.

For the first option just keep on this road until you reach Divarata, a village just above Myrtos Beach. A couple of km before Divarata is a pull in where you can stop and take photos of Myrtos beach but don't worry if you miss it.

For the second quicker route, about 500 metres after the lights, where the main road turns left, you go straight ahead. It is signposted Agia Efimia and Fiscardo, continue to and through Dilinata. About 1.5 km after the village you pass a church/monastery(?) on a sharp bend and you are then on a wide “new” road through the mountains that takes you through Drakata to a X roads and Divarata.

In Divarata you are at a X roads. One way is signposted Agia Efimia and another Fiscardo.

For Assos take the Fiscardo road. You soon cross a very new bridge and straight after is a pull in on your left where you can get good photos of Myrtos beach. Further along the road is a turning to Assos. Fiscardo is straight ahead.

My time estimates without photo stops. Lassi to Divarata 50 mins, then to Assos 15 mins, then to Fiscardo 25 mins. Divarata to Agia Efimia 15 mins.

From Agia Efimia you could either return to Divarata and back to Argostoli and Lassi or from Agia Efimia take the coast road to Sami and then the road to Argostoli. This road comes out at the traffic lights close to Argostoli. You need a sharp left turn here.

Good driving advice here.

http://www.goinggreek.info/driving.html

Have a great time

Bob

Mentioned in this post
Skala
Skala
Cephalonia, Greece
Poros
Poros
Saronic Gulf Islands, Greece
Lassi
Lassi
Cephalonia, Greece
Myrtos Beach
Myrtos Beach
3,007 Reviews
Cephalonia, Greece
Fiscardo
Fiscardo
Cephalonia, Greece
Assos
Assos
1,650 Reviews
Cephalonia, Greece
Sami
Sami
Cephalonia, Greece
BIRMINGHAM
Level Contributor
12 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Two Queries - Wasps and driving

Thank you so much for your help. I am reassured about the wasps and have copied the driving instructions which were brilliant.

Coventry, United...
Level Contributor
38 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Two Queries - Wasps and driving

Is it worth a trip on the ferry from Argostolli to Lixouri? Are there many beaches ? Nice places to eat ?

Level Contributor
4,664 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Two Queries - Wasps and driving

Hi, yes we go across every year, nice boat trip & tavernas in Sq for lunch

Cambridge
Level Contributor
82 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Two Queries - Wasps and driving

Lixouri is a great place to visit. Lepeda beach is fantastic with great food at the Taverna. Personally I much prefer Lixouri to Argostoli.

Mentioned in this post
Lepeda Beach
Lepeda Beach
156 Reviews
Cephalonia, Greece
United Kingdom
Level Contributor
151 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Two Queries - Wasps and driving

I can bear wasps and tried distracting them with beer, etc but it seemed to attract every wasp in the area! There must be a way to protect oneself or drive them away from a picnic lunch? : -(

London, United...
Level Contributor
145 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Two Queries - Wasps and driving

Apparently if you burn coffee, most restaurants will put a little jar on your table if you ask them to. Seen them do this a lot in Fiskardo.

Coventry, United...
Level Contributor
38 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Two Queries - Wasps and driving

Hi, how far is the beach you mentioned from the ferry port in lixouri ? Thanks.

Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
11,377 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Two Queries - Wasps and driving

About 2Km south along the coast.

Reply to: Two Queries - Wasps and driving
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Lassi