We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

French Foreign Legion Museum

Milan, Italy
Level Contributor
16 posts
3 reviews
French Foreign Legion Museum

Hi there

Has anyone been to the FFL Museum and if so was it worth it. Many thanks for any info.

14 replies to this topic
London, UK
Level Contributor
7,040 posts
208 reviews
1. Re: French Foreign Legion Museum

I have not been to the museum but I found the centre of Aubagne to be very attractive. I is not much on the tourist circuit, probably because of the surrounding motorways and industrial/commercial developments. I hope you get more direct responses when this is bumped up.

Milan, Italy
Level Contributor
16 posts
3 reviews
2. Re: French Foreign Legion Museum

Many thanks for your info. I appreciate it.

Marseille, France
Destination Expert
for Marseille, Aix-en-Provence
Level Contributor
1,497 posts
2 reviews
3. Re: French Foreign Legion Museum

Here's some info about what to see in Aubagne. The Foreign Legion museum is about 20 minutes' walk out of the city. http://bit.ly/j2iJKh

Worcester UK
1 post
1 review
4. Re: French Foreign Legion Museum

The museum is well worth a visit. Not that large but full of interesting displays that are well presented. Also a good gift shop. If you are interested in Legion history please have a look at my research website - www.trailquestarchaeology.com - which records research into legion forts in Morocco.

Capt R P Jeynes

Marseille, France
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,497 posts
2 reviews
5. Re: French Foreign Legion Museum

By the way -- this museum is now closed until next March for renovations! By way of compensation, if you go to Aubagne on 30 April, you can see the Legion's ritual Camerone Day celebrations. More about them: http://bit.ly/j2iJKh

Ho Chi Minh City...
Level Contributor
1 post
48 reviews
6. Re: French Foreign Legion Museum

If anyone is interested in this museum be aware it is closed for renovation until

around March 2013. There is another Legion museum in Puyloubier about 35-40 kilometers north of Aubne.

Bridel
1 post
1 review
7. Re: French Foreign Legion Museum

Puyloubiers is actually the Legion retirement home. It has an excellent museum (better then Aubagne in my view).

They also make their own excellent wine, and sell legion military stuff, most of the kit being excellent as you would expect. My fleece from there would keep an eskimo warm when wearing nothing else.

try to get there by about 11 a.m. as all the shops, workshops and museum are manned by retirees and they head for the bar the moment it opens, despite the notice saying everything is open until 12.

The ostensible village cemetery has a big area where legionnaires are buried. There is no cemetery at Aubagne.

There is a very good restaurant up a side street in the village.

Marseille, France
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,497 posts
2 reviews
8. Re: French Foreign Legion Museum

Puyloubier is on a very nice circuit which you can drive or ride out of Aix around the Mont Sainte Victoire. Details: http://bit.ly/10OqIcL The restaurant in Puyloubier you are thinking of is Les Sarments. You can in theory eat at the Legion restaurant too, I think, though it wasn't open when I visited there recently.

Chichester, United...
2 posts
9. Re: French Foreign Legion Museum

Would anyone be able to bring me up to date re. the Legion Museum? Any help much appreciated. Rory M

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
15,254 posts
65 reviews
10. Re: French Foreign Legion Museum

What do you want to know?

It re-opened over 2 years ago.

Read the thread.

Reply to: French Foreign Legion Museum
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Aubagne
Recent Conversations