We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

one day in Geiranger

Fort Collins...
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
one day in Geiranger

We're going to be spending one day in Geiranger in July on our way to Alesund. I am wondering if it is feasible to take a ferry ride that shows us the beautiful parts of the fjord and also the Trollstigen in one day? It looks like seeing the Trollstigen means driving toward Andalsnes will make the trip to Alesund longer - so, I'm wondering if I should skip the Trollstigen? Any suggestions on this or the most interesting way to travel from Geiranger to Alesund would be welcomed - thanks.

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
7,332 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: one day in Geiranger

If you have a day in Geiranger I would use it for a visit to Valldal and Trollstigen. When you leave for Ålesund, start the trip with the ferry Geiranger-Hellesylt.

Tromso, Norway
Level Contributor
6,396 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: one day in Geiranger

There is so much to explore in that area, so I am sorry to tell you all this secrets so yo will probably have problem to decide...

Just above the hotels there are a waterfall you can walk under... And if you drive towards Strynefjellet, you can drive to the top of the mountain Dalsnibba with amazing view down back to Geiranger.

And if you you have the Eagle road up from Geiranger towards Valldal / Trollstigen. And of course, Norways cheapest cruise on Norways most famous fjord; the car ferry to Hellesylt.

And for an alternative route to Alesund, drive via Norangsdalen for see the village under water; After a huge rock avalanche the valley flood over.

By the fjord you can visit the famous and beautiful Øye Hotel.

Of course, Trollstigen are amazing, but...

BLYTH
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: one day in Geiranger

are Euros acceptable in shops and cafe's/bars in Geiranger please, will be ther only one day so do not want to change into local currency.

BLYTH
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: one day in Geiranger

Are Euros acceptable in Norway or do we have to change into local currency.

Stavanger, Norway
Destination Expert
for Western Norway, Stavanger
Level Contributor
7,590 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: one day in Geiranger

Norway is not a part if EU and Euro is generally not accepted as payment. Our currency is Norwegian Kroner, NOK. Standard credit cards (Master, VISA, Amex etc) are widely accepted. You can get cash from ATM's, called Minibank in Norway.

I hardly use cash anymore, instead I use my debit and credit cards.

Oslo
Level Contributor
17,066 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: one day in Geiranger

Don't expect that euros are accepted, try to pay with credit card if you don't to change.

The car ferry Hellesylt-Geiranger (or the other way depending on where you start) is best to include in your overall transport plan. This ferry gives you the best of Geirangerfjord.

If you start from Hellesylt, continue to Geiranger by ferry, then drive road 63 towards Eidsdal and Valldal, then over Trollstigen to Åndalsnes (highly recommended), the detour to Åndalsnes will add 100 km. Even the drive to Eidsdal is along a great mountain road and gives excellent views of Geirangerfjord:

northkape.com/Geiranger/Geiranger/Geiranger/…

…photobucket.com/albums/v646/cityq/JulyTrip/…

Trollstigen mt road is an engineering achievement and runs through some of Norway's wildest mountains:

…photobucket.com/albums/y136/cityw/Leksvik/T…

…pbase.com/o4/04/645604/1/56960481.Trollstig…

BLYTH
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: one day in Geiranger

Thank you for your information, as suggested we shall use our Vis Debit card if required.

Texas
Level Contributor
635 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: one day in Geiranger

I am looking at the Fjord 1 site for transportation on thier "Golden Route".

We will be there (with 3000 others off the HAL Rotterdam ) for one day,Friday Aug 31...I have a couple of questions: this is a bus trip over several mountain roads, correct? Does it leave at 12.25 PM and return to Geiranger at 2:25 PM ? How often is the trip cancelled? How often is the visibility so poor that you can't see anything? If this is not a viable option, what suggestions for that day? I think it may be the last day this bus service runs for the season.

Oslo
Level Contributor
17,066 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: one day in Geiranger

There is bus from Geiranger 12:40 to Mt Dalsnibba, 15 min photostop, then return to Geiranger at 14:30

…fjord1.no/Fjord1IISStaticTables/…23-562.htm

Mt Dalsnibba is a summit with great views of the area (up and down the same mountain road)

tinwolf.co.uk/…20point.jpg

Newport, United...
Level Contributor
166 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: one day in Geiranger

Could someone tell me how much this trip costs and how far from the port is it as arriving via cruise ship.

Thanks