We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Red tide could linger until 2019--read up!

Akron, Ohio
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Topic
Red tide could linger until 2019--read up!

Hi fellow travelers,

Spent the past hour reading news stories about the red tide now hitting Anna Maria...and sad to report it's the worst bloom since 2006 and may linger through 2019. I encourage you to do your own research before making any travel decisions. But know this isn't a short-term that will only impact visitors this week.

Although the blooms remain a bit of a mystery, scientists say that they can be moved off shore or broken up by cool water of winter...which they point out isn't coming any time soon. Moreover, the red tide appears to grow like a monster feeding on all the nutrients in the water (incl. dead animals)

It's unclear to me if the red tide now at AMI is b/c tide has grown...or b/c it's moved north. Another thing that's not clear to me -- it's hurricane season and would/could a storm push it off shore or push it on, make it worse.

This of course is devastating for Fla's tourism biz. And I'm sorry for all those who make a living through rentals/restaurants/tours, etc. We have a trip planned in October and, with a very heavy heart, are looking at options (if anyone has any suggestions for a similar calm-water beach/no high-rise environment anywhere beyond southwest Fla, please let me know).

Our plan is to follow the red tide situation closely and, hopefully, be able to pivot back to AMI if there's a significant change to the situation.

Miami Herald has a particularly good story...but there are dozens of stories out there about this historical context and reasons for this red tide.

56 replies to this topic
Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
38,147 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Red tide could linger until 2019--read up!

There are so many variables that putting any stock into any forecast is sheer folly.

Keep reading -- you'll see that (logically) the impact of a hurricane depends on how strong it is and where it goes -- again -- too many variables.

It's awful -- but there is simply nothing to do about the current situation but to watch and wait (and for Florida voters to start getting loud and making sure our lawmakers know we're upset...at least it's midterm elections, so they make a bigger pretense of caring about what we think!)

Level Contributor
769 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Red tide could linger until 2019--read up!

Do you have any references on your 2019 claim? The MIami Herald???

Again, Florida has been dealing with this for years, centuries even! I can assure you water temp is not indicative as we had red tide two years for a good part of the winter. It comes, it goes, fish don't like it, crabs don't like it, people don't like it... but it never scares people away! Don't you find that interesting?

Too much hysteria going on here!

Keep in mind, as stated elsewhere, I'm negatively impacted b red tide but I still go to AMI because I know I can find something worthwhile doing if it makes water life unenjoyable. And the worst fish kill I ever say is when mullet fishermen were dumping them overboard rather than bringing them ashore for disposal. Manatee County had the "chain gangs" out there overnight cleaning up the beach. They will do the same if it gets that bad.

Green Cove Springs...
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Red tide could linger until 2019--read up!

We are currently vacationing at AMI. When I read about the red tide last week, I was under the understanding that it was not up this far yet. Sadly it is. We went down to the beach this morning and you could clearly see the discoloration in the water. It smelled a little bit, but we did not see any dead fish so it probably wasn’t as bad as it is in Siesta Key. There were very few people in the water. We did notice that when we got near the water we were all coughing and sneezing. I read that you can swim in the water and it shouldn’t be a problem unless you have respiratory issues such as asthma, however, I don’t think any of us plan on getting in. We are going to see if the water is better on the bay side or further north on AMI this afternoon.

Oswestry, United...
Level Contributor
30 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Red tide could linger until 2019--read up!

Too much hysteria and people seem to be revelling in this red tide story, scaremongering and causing people to canx travel plans, this is not juts AMI but the whole coastline, the chances are that it will continue to move North.

Let's all try and be positive eh, glass half full as opposed to half empty!!!.

You never know you might enjoy being positive, try it, good for the soul!!

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
22,710 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Red tide could linger until 2019--read up!

"Spent the past hour reading news stories about the red tide now hitting Anna Maria...and sad to report it's the worst bloom since 2006 and may linger through 2019."

What's the source of those news stories - a scientific journal or tabloid press

Green Cove Springs...
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Red tide could linger until 2019--read up!

I'm not trying to scare anyone or be negative. We love AMI which is why we come every year. It is a little disappointing this year because of the red tide and with the pier being gone. What I shared about the ocean is the truth. The water is gross and the spores are irritating to your respiratory tract. It can be irritating to your skin as well. I have no desire to swim in it. Nor do my kids. We are going to search for a better location to swim while we are here. There are plenty of options so I'm sure we will find a beach somewhere. It just won't be quite as as convenient. We can swim in our pool if necessary and there are plenty of other things to do on and around AMI.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
38,147 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Red tide could linger until 2019--read up!

It also changes from one day to the next -- and has been known and documented to change from one tide to the next.

So let's stop fanning the hysteria and deal in facts instead of conjecture, please.

Merritt Island...
Level Contributor
440 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Red tide could linger until 2019--read up!

I don't think its hysteria when people are giving on site reports of the conditions. I was born in Bradenton and this is our 51st year coming back to the island. This is the worst we have ever seen. You're correct, every day and every week can be different. But when old timers from Venice to St Pete are saying this is different I would listen. People are dropping thousands of dollars on these trips. I make decisions like this on every vacation I take.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
550 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Red tide could linger until 2019--read up!

I agree Tom, this obviously isn’t a typical red tide bloom. It would be like a hurricane coming in and people saying that it rains a lot in Florida. Someone actually advised not to cancel a few thousand dollar trip because, I could swim in a backyard pool.

uk
Level Contributor
111 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Red tide could linger until 2019--read up!

I agree. People mostly come to AMI to enjoy the beautiful beaches as well as everything else it has to offer. If I was just wanting a great house with a good backyard pool I would probably choose somewhere less expensive. However I choose Anna Maria because I love the beaches. As a regular vacationer there, I desperately want to return (and am due to do so at the end of August) but I don’t want to return, having spent thousands of dollars on accommodation for 2 weeks not to be able to walk comfortably on the beach and enjoy the sea. I can understand that some locals feel it’s ‘hysteria’ but when tourists are spending a lot of hard earned dollars to come on what is for some, a once in a lifetime holiday, I totally get why they are so concerned and wanting as much info as possible. Even though no one can give them the reassurance they are seeking, their concerns can’t be dismissed as hysteria.

Reply to: Red tide could linger until 2019--read up!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Anna Maria Island