We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

AMI/Bradenton beach - red tide?? Plz Help!

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
30 posts
AMI/Bradenton beach - red tide?? Plz Help!

Anyone in Anna Maria Island or the South Bradenton Beach area that can confirm or deny if red tide is present? We're currently in Englewood/Manasota Key and are trying to escape the red tide and salvage some of our vacation!

41 replies to this topic
Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
23,032 posts
36 reviews
1. Re: AMI/Bradenton beach - red tide?? Plz Help!

The visit beaches website is reporting (as at 2 Aug) no dead fish or respiratory irritation at either Manatee or Coquina Beach

https://www.visitbeaches.org/#

Longboat Key...
Level Contributor
182 posts
1 review
2. Re: AMI/Bradenton beach - red tide?? Plz Help!

Lido Key, Yes

Longboat, just starting the last day or two, no dead fish.

Bradenton Beach, not yet.

Bradenton, Florida...
Level Contributor
25 posts
67 reviews
3. Re: AMI/Bradenton beach - red tide?? Plz Help!

As of today- no. New report just out said it’s coming, expect it in the next few days.

Forest Hills...
Level Contributor
2 posts
68 reviews
4. Re: AMI/Bradenton beach - red tide?? Plz Help!

We went to Longboat to look for shells. Began coughing before we even reached the beach. Saw two dead fish and the murky water and left with several other people. Back to Holmes Beach which seemed fine. Glad we are leaving tomorrow...

Rockport...
Level Contributor
259 posts
3 reviews
5. Re: AMI/Bradenton beach - red tide?? Plz Help!

We have been in Englewood all summer, and it's been horrible. We have a week booked on AMI starting tomorrow and I am so so sad that it looks like it might be heading there next. We were hoping that would be the week that salvaged our summer vacation.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
38,184 posts
11 reviews
6. Re: AMI/Bradenton beach - red tide?? Plz Help!

the prevailing wind pattern has shifted from the westerly winds that pushed the whole mess onshore to the more-normal easterly winds that should send it back offshore (hopes...crosses fingers) That and some rain to dilute the remaining mess and help wash down the beaches ***should*** help knock it back (hopes...crosses fingers)

With any luck it will just move offshore and not spread as badly to points north.

Des Moines, Iowa
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
7. Re: AMI/Bradenton beach - red tide?? Plz Help!

We r set to arrive today at Holmes Beach, beach front condo. I just checked the website everyone has been referring us all too and according to the reporting system, our beach now has thick, murky water with drift being in the water and on the beach. Says many dead fish and heavy respiratory issues. My 3 yr old will now have to use the inhaler, medicine, and his nebulizer. We have been planning this trip for almost an entire yr. We aren't a wealthy family, it's not like we can just come back some other time or cancel our trip. Have saved so much money to enjoy our week here. I am so extremely disappointed. Feel like 4 grand ( and more) just went down the drain. I don't mean to be such a nag, but really, what r the chances it goes away and we can enjoy the water and beach? That was entire purpose of our trip. What a waste now if the beach reporting is accurate.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
30 posts
8. Re: AMI/Bradenton beach - red tide?? Plz Help!

Unfortunately, it's here and bad at AMI. We escaped Englewood after 3 depressing days of dead marine life and respiratory irritation so bad that we couldn't even enjoy the private pool we had. I was fortunate to get a refund from the property owner and find a place in Bradenton beach. Enjoyed some ocean time yesterday, but did notice some coughing. Now, all beaches are reporting heavy fish kills and respiratory issues. I can say that it's not nearly as bad here at it is to the south and I hope it stays that way!

@ alikunkle523 - I have not found the website by MOTE to be very helpful. Most of the time the info is not up to date and the collecting/reporting stations are not well distributed. For instance, there aren't any on Longboat Key, but many close together in the Ft. Myers/Sanibel area. I have found info on Trip Advisor to be more helpful as people who are currently in areas can give accurate reports on conditions. When I started this "journey" I didn't get many comments, but then even locals were commenting saying to stay away and it's worse than what is being reported.

I don't know what to do now. I've tried to make the best of the situation, but I too am very disappointed. I know it's mother nature and I've tried to be positive in all my posts on other forums in the area, but I just think I've had enough. I've already extended by several days, but now, for what?

To be more positive, there are more things to do here off the beach than where we were. I don't know much about the area since it isn't where I thought I'd be, but it's a fun little place!

Princeton, New...
Level Contributor
1,071 posts
4 reviews
9. Re: AMI/Bradenton beach - red tide?? Plz Help!

alikunkle523 - I’m so sorry I completely feel your pain. We are due to arrive for our first trip ever to AMI in 2 weeks and don’t know what to do. We aren’t rich, have saved for months for this trip, and had to prepay and now our hotel Mainsail Beach Inn wont refund us anything....thousands of dollars gone. I have 3 little kids, one of which has bad asthma. I am beyond upset and aggravated over this

Nnabeln - if you are on Facebook you should follow “Anna Maria Island vacation travel” page. There are tons of people, many locals, posting numerous updates, pictures, etc each day. I’ve found this most helpful

Redcar, United...
Level Contributor
28 posts
57 reviews
10. Re: AMI/Bradenton beach - red tide?? Plz Help!

That’s our dilemma too, we’ve paid $1500 dollars, and are allowed to cancel 7 days before we arrive, but will only get $900 back. Do we cancel now and give them a chance to rebook or take the chance it will not be a problem when we arrive :-(

Reply to: AMI/Bradenton beach - red tide?? Plz Help!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Anna Maria Island