We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dog friendly info on Porthleven

Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Level Contributor
2 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Dog friendly info on Porthleven

Hi

My partner and I are coming to Porthleven for a week on 9th June with our dog. We are staying in a cottage on the clifftop right above the beach and can't wait!

I would like some information from dog owners with regards to where is nice to walk the dog? Also which local beaches are dog friendly? I'm aware that many aren't and it would be a shame if we missed out on the beautiful beaches because we have our dog with us.

I think I have sourced enough dog friendly eating establishments to keep us going, but if anyone has any information on walks and places of interest (with a dog) then it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

1. Re: Dog friendly info on Porthleven

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 24 September 2013, 15:05
Edited: 24 September 2013, 15:05
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Level Contributor
2 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dog friendly info on Porthleven

Thanks very much for your response Fiona, some helpful info there. We have a very lively cocker spaniel so he needs to have a good long walk off the lead.

We will definitely see you in The Atlantic Inn as I know it is on the street behind where we are staying so is very convenient for us!

Cheers, Claire

Reading, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dog friendly info on Porthleven

walking along the cliff path towards The Lizard and passing through the blue wooden gates after about half a mile (just before the path slopes down to Loe Beach) takes you into the beautiful Penrose Estate.

You can walk all the way round Loe Pool and come out on the other side of Loe Beach (about 6 miles in all) or you can walk through the Estate, up the hill over the bridge to the car park and then up the hill to return into Porthleven on the beach road. Final option is to follow the path in Penrose to Helston and return to Porthleven by bus.

The beach closest to the village is not dog friendly in the summer but the beach beyond the Blue Bouy steps (where the lifeguard hut is) is open to dogs. Keep a close eye on the tide though as from the lifeguard hut going towards The Lizard the next exit from the beach is at Loe Beach!

I hope you enjoy this area of outstanding natural beauty.

Stafford, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dog friendly info on Porthleven

Hi I am also going in september,what eating dog friendly places have you found, please advice, i was told the first 400m of the beach dogs are not allowed but the rest is dog friendly, cheers glynis

5. Re: Dog friendly info on Porthleven

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 24 September 2013, 15:05
Reading, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dog friendly info on Porthleven

Seadrift is a a small but perfectly formed restaurant - see www.seadriftporthleven.co.uk - it id dog friendy and produces great dishes based on locally sourced ingrediants - primarily fish based.

Regards,

john

Falmouth, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dog friendly info on Porthleven

We hope you have a lovely holiday in Porthleven, the walks are wonderful along the cliffs and the best place to eat is amelies at the smokehouse where they welcome well behaved dogs, they are also very child friendly

Hereford, United...
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dog friendly info on Porthleven

Hi. I am visiting porthlevern in October with my dogs, however my sister would like to join us for a couple of days mid week. Does anyone know any pubs/bb that allows dogs for 2day bookings?

Thanks

Salisbury, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dog friendly info on Porthleven

I would like to add a word of warning about walking dogs on the beach at Loe Bar. On New years day 2 years ago we were horrified to witness a small dog get into difficulties and drown on this beach. The dog went into the sea and got caught in a very strong under current which kept tossing it away from the beach. Despite the attempts of his owners who risked their lives and waded in to the sea fully clothed in freezing temperatures to try to grab the dog the poor thing drowned. There are notices advising against swimming from this part of the beach because of strong currents, it is not advisable to let a dog go into the water there either.

10. Re: Dog friendly info on Porthleven

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 November 2014, 09:15
Get answers to your questions about Porthleven
Recent Conversations