We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

6 days in Montenegro

Malmo, Sweden
Level Contributor
15 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
6 days in Montenegro

Hi, We have planned a trip where we will stay in Montenegro for 6 days in June. We are a couple in our mid 20's. My initial thought of as where to stay would be Kotor (or surrounding) and Budva.

How is Budva in June? Is it too crowded?

2 nights in Kotor and 4 in Budva - would you change it to 3/3, or skip Budva for Herceg Novi? Is Budva better as a day trip only to enjoy the beach?

Many questions, but I appreciate all tips, since I'm not really sure of what places are the best to stay.

Thanks in advance!

Best regards

Tommy

Dubrovnik, Croatia
Level Contributor
146 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: 6 days in Montenegro

I think you should go with your original plan: 2 nights in Kotor and 4 nights in Budva.

Budva is main tourist center of Montenegro, but it gets very crowded in July and August, so June may be perfect month for visit as it's not too crowded and still you can swim in the sea.

I suggest 4-night stay in Budva, because it's easier to make an interesting day-trip from there (Podgorica, Skadar Lake, Cetinje, Velika plaza Ulcinj...).

Also, night life is better in Budva.

From Kotor you can explore beautiful Kotor bay easily in two days.

Enjoy your time in Montenegro.

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
63 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 6 days in Montenegro

I visited Budva in May, and it was a zoo even then. . . . Recommend staying in beautiful, romantic, idyllic Perast. Base yourself there -- even if you don't rent a car, you can hop the every-15-minutes bus (goes right past the town) for quick trips to Herceg Novi, Kotor, Budva, Cetinje, etc. Herceg Novi and Kotor are less than 30 min away, and Budva is about an hour.

Recommend Hotel Conte in Perast. You won't regret it.

Malmo, Sweden
Level Contributor
15 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 6 days in Montenegro

Thank you for your answers! Now I really can't decide! ;)

Honestly, I think that I'll go with my initial plan. We will be travelling quite much before we arrive in Montenegro, and thought it could be nice to have the beaches at walking distance the last days of our trip.

Another question then.. If I want to learn some basic phrases before my trip to Croatia and Montenegro, which language should I learn? Croatian seems like the right answer, am I wrong? Can I use the Croatian language in Montenegro and vice versa, or will it be insulting to the people? Silly question maybe, but would be nice to know. :)

Dubrovnik, Croatia
Level Contributor
146 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: 6 days in Montenegro

It's the same language (Croatian and Montenegrian), and you won't insult anyone. Don't worry.

Kotor, Montenegro
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 6 days in Montenegro

Every body will understand you it's not a problem, but only Croatian and montenegrian languages are only the dialects of Serbian language.

6. Re: 6 days in Montenegro

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 15:16