We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip to Kotor from Dubrovnik tomorrow

London Ontario
Level Contributor
730 posts
12 reviews
Day trip to Kotor from Dubrovnik tomorrow

Hello,

What is the best way to drive for this trip? I have heard the border is closed. If it is, where do we then cross? Also, if there are long delays, is it possible to turn around and come back?

Thank you!

7 replies to this topic
Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
20,117 posts
60 reviews
1. Re: Day trip to Kotor from Dubrovnik tomorrow

The border is not closed. There is a construction inland that closed a border, but the one along the coast which is open. We can not predict border times, but this is off season, in general it should be just a couple of minutes

Edited: 16 May 2018, 06:54
London Ontario
Level Contributor
730 posts
12 reviews
2. Re: Day trip to Kotor from Dubrovnik tomorrow

Thank you so much!

London Ontario
Level Contributor
730 posts
12 reviews
3. Re: Day trip to Kotor from Dubrovnik tomorrow

We did our trip today. The border crossing took about 50 minutes going in to Montenegro with the longest part exiting Croatia, not entering Montenegro.

Coming home, it was about 15 minutes total.

Thanks again for the information.

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
20,117 posts
60 reviews
4. Re: Day trip to Kotor from Dubrovnik tomorrow

Glad it worked out, 50 min seems a lot for May, guess one should go to the bakery, grab a burek, have breakfast in the car while waiting. We can not change it, just have to go thru this, might enjoy a meal.

After reading some of the border stories here, I decided to leave my boat at a friends house for the winter as I do not want to deal with this. Just taking a flight home. I still have to get there, so we will see how bad it is. I do not even know why it would take that long.

London Ontario
Level Contributor
730 posts
12 reviews
5. Re: Day trip to Kotor from Dubrovnik tomorrow

We couldn’t understand the delay either. It always seemed to be the entering or departing Croatia side. Today, we left Dubrovnik heading north and the border at the Neum corridor was crazy. Guess you just never know.

We just take it in stride. Wish I had thought to go to the bakery first 😉

los angeles
Level Contributor
644 posts
12 reviews
6. Re: Day trip to Kotor from Dubrovnik tomorrow

thanks so much for reporting back on your experience.

We are thinking of taking day trip to Dubrovnik first week of June -- probably on a Sunday -- and are trying to figure out if worth taking the chance for significant border waits.

We are also driving from Split to Dubrovnik via Mostar and hadn't heard about significant border waits there. Hope this isn't usually a problem!

London Ontario
Level Contributor
730 posts
12 reviews
7. Re: Day trip to Kotor from Dubrovnik tomorrow

We also went to Mostar on the way from Split but we had no issues at all.

I would suggest leaving as early as you can. It takes longer than you think to drive and I doubt the border would be as busy earlier.

Reply to: Day trip to Kotor from Dubrovnik tomorrow
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted