We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Balkan road trip

Bologna, Italy
8 posts
Save Topic
Balkan road trip

Hello,

We are 6 Italian guys and we're planning a 10 days road trip on the Balkan coast especially Croatia, Montenegro and Albania in July and I'd like to ask you some information.

We'll arrive in Montenegro from Croatia, how is the situation at the border in July? Will we have to wait a lot or are they fast?

Then, we want book nothing before leaving because we have intention to stop where we like, I know that in Croatia it is possible to do like this, how is the situation in Montenegro? Should I book any apartments before to come or is there a large availability of apartments, hostels and hotels?

Last but not least, we'll have few days to spend in Montenegro and we have to see only the most beautiful places (Budva, Kotor, Stevi Stefan) so where are the most beautiful beaches? Does Pogdorica worth a visit? And what about the nightlife? I read something about Budva, how is the situation in the other places?

Thank you for your answer!

Mentioned in this post
Croatia
Croatia
Europe
Albania
Albania
Europe
Budva
Budva
Budva Municipality, Montenegro
Kotor
Kotor
Kotor Municipality, Montenegro
5 replies to this topic
Gyor, Hungary
Level Contributor
666 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Balkan road trip

Hello,

"Last but not least, we'll have few days to spend in Montenegro and we have to see only the most beautiful places (Budva, Kotor, Stevi Stefan)"

I don't think that places like the Tara canyon, Durmitor national park or Prokletije mountains are less beautiful than the coast..

Ostrog monastery, Lovcen mountains, Rijeka Crnojevica, Lake Shkodra, Stari Bar(old Bar) are also very beautiful.

"Does Pogdorica worth a visit?"

no

Mentioned in this post
Budva
Budva
Kotor
Kotor
Hotel Tara
Hotel Tara
455 Reviews
Becici, Montenegro
Ostrog Monastery
Ostrog Monastery
654 Reviews
Niksic, Montenegro
Rijeka
Rijeka
Primorje-Gorski Kotar County, Croatia
Los Angeles
Level Contributor
19,208 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Balkan road trip

No questions, the other places are nice too, but with 6 guys in the Summer and limited time, I would stick to the coast. You can make Budva your base as it is vibrant and has a lot of clubs/beachclubs and do daytrips from there to Kotor and Sveti Stefan for example.

Make sure to visit Top Hill Budva Club one night. It is the biggest outdoor club in Europe and insane!

Mentioned in this post
Budva
Budva
Kotor
Kotor
Sveti Stefan
Sveti Stefan
Europe
Europe
World
Bologna, Italy
8 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Balkan road trip

Thanks a lot.

You both gave me some very useful information,

What about the road conditions and the traffic in July?

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
19,208 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Balkan road trip

There will be traffic in Budva and Kotor, most popular places, rest should be fine. Road conditions thru Montenegro are good.

As for Border Crossing, we can not predict the time. I am usually lucky I guess as the longest I had to wait was 30 min, some here claim 5 hours which I think is impossible, but guess it can happen, so budget in some time for the borders

Mentioned in this post
Budva
Budva
Kotor
Kotor
Bologna, Italy
8 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Balkan road trip

Thanks a lot for this information!