We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Healthcare in Montenegro

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
29 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Healthcare in Montenegro

Hi,

I am considering visit Montenegro towards the end of May. I am currently pregnant (everything is okay), but since the chance of an emergency is higher than when not pregnant, I prefer to visit a country where healthcare is advanced. I couldn't find any information online

Is healthcare in Montenegro considered western? Are there private facilities? Is the food relatively safe?

Thanks!

7 replies to this topic
Los Angeles
Level Contributor
19,549 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Healthcare in Montenegro

Yeah, it is rather good. Just make sure to get a insurance for foreign countries that would cover any emergency. Like 2 years ago I had the stupid idea to dive under a boat, not thinking that a boat can move.Stupid. I got a concussion, went to the medical clinic as I got really sick, they helped me and sent the bill directly to my insurance company. I had to do nothing or pay anything.

We are talking tourist places tough, way up in the rural mountains it sure is different, so in your condition(Congrats) it might be a good advice to stick to those places. I know in the Kotor area is a big hospital and in Budva you will have several emergency clinics and they would help you fpr minor stuff, if more transfer you to the hospital

JUST MAKE SURE YOU GET A INSURANCE!

Zabljak, Montenegro
Level Contributor
369 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Healthcare in Montenegro

You will be fine!

I am Australian but I live in the small village of Zabljak I had most of my pregnancy up here and they are equipped enough to deal with most problems. If there is something urgent that requires attention there is a very very good private hospital in the capital.

Most of the doctors, small clinics and local hospitals though are really great towards toursists.

Congrats and have a great trip!

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
29 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Healthcare in Montenegro

Thanks! Do doctors speak English in the hospital?

Do you have any advice regarding what to eat and be careful from while pregnant?

We mainly plan to hike

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
19,549 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Healthcare in Montenegro

Yeah, I would not worry about healthcare either. I am not sure about hiking, I mean, you know what you can do or not.

I would not let my daughter hike if she was pregnant, but that is just me. But please be aware that in the mountains it will take some time to get to a hospital or clinic.

Zabljak, Montenegro
Level Contributor
369 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Healthcare in Montenegro

In the capital they speak English in the smaller cities not always. but they will generally try and call someone to help translate even if over the phone if necessary.

Montenegrin cuisine can be quite heavy at the best of times I wouldn't really avoid anything in particular. Just eat at busier restaurants where Youngman they have a bigger turnover with fresher food.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
19,549 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Healthcare in Montenegro

I never really heard anyone complaining about the food, everything is rather fresh, the fish has probably been taken the same day out of the sea. I know several restaurant owners, of course I can not speak for all, but they pride themself on there fresh food.

Zabljak, Montenegro
Level Contributor
369 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Healthcare in Montenegro

Exactly not all are the same!

Reply to: Healthcare in Montenegro
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted