We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Crossing the Montenegro border from Croatia

England
Level Contributor
99 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Crossing the Montenegro border from Croatia

I have been quoted a journey time from Dubrovnik to Budva in August taking anything from 3.5 hrs to 8 hrs. Why could it take so long? Is this congestion? Not sure whether to take a pre-booked taxi (120 Euros for 3) or rely on the bus (20 Euros pp). Any advice welcome.

Mentioned in this post
Dubrovnik
Dubrovnik
Dubrovnik-Neretva County, Croatia
Budva
Budva
Budva Municipality, Montenegro
14 replies to this topic
Sarajevo, Bosnia...
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik, Split, Cavtat, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Sarajevo, Mostar, Zagreb
Level Contributor
4,849 posts
464 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Crossing the Montenegro border from Croatia

It depends with what you travel. If you look at the buses timetable and see long travel time, it is probably not a direct bus but includes a change and thus waiting at some bus terminal.

Waiting times of 30 min to 1 hour at the border crossings in mid-season are not uncommon.

You can check the waiting times here: http://www.hak.hr/en#border-crossings

england
Destination Expert
for Montenegro
Level Contributor
2,114 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Crossing the Montenegro border from Croatia

It’s a distance of about 60 miles along a coastal road. The only significant congestion you are likely to encounter is in the final 3 miles or so in Budva - depending on when you get there. There can be waits at the border which can be between 10 minutes and an hour, again depending on how busy things are and the staffing levels at the border checkpoints. Delays of more than an hour at the border can happen but are not the norm.

Mentioned in this post
Budva
Budva
Budva Municipality, Montenegro
Los Angeles
Level Contributor
18,306 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Crossing the Montenegro border from Croatia

We can not predict the time, but 3-8 hours is rather unlikely. I would estimate 10-30 minutes depending on traffic. That is just a estimation on my personal experience in the summer. But even an hour would be rather unusual

I take my boat sometimes back to Germany and even with all the paperwork I have to present, I am thru in 15 minutes

Edited: 09 May 2018, 06:39
Mentioned in this post
Germany
Germany
Europe
England
Level Contributor
99 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Crossing the Montenegro border from Croatia

Thank you for your helpful replies. I can see the bus is a 3 hour journey and the taxi company quoted 3.5 to 8 hrs. I thought it might be the other way round, longer by bus. I think I may take the bus.

Zabljak, Montenegro
Level Contributor
323 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Crossing the Montenegro border from Croatia

it is mainly to do with the border crossing and congestion on the small coastal road.

The main border checkpoint has been known to have long long delays of 5+ hours hence the unspecific time.

If you can find some others to split the taxi fare I would try and do that at least your guaranteed air-conditioning.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
18,306 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Crossing the Montenegro border from Croatia

There is A/C in the bus and they take the same road. I do not see the difference, only that a taxi is way more expensive. If there is a hold up on the border, what difference does it make if you take the bus or a taxi? It takes the same time.

I take that border crossing every year in the summer, never had to wait over 30 minutes, 5 hours sounds crazy to me, sure it can happen, but in 4o years I have never experienced it

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
7,311 posts
366 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Crossing the Montenegro border from Croatia

With à car or possibly taxi there is an alternative border crossing on a small road nearer to the coast

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
18,306 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Crossing the Montenegro border from Croatia

A bus usually you will get privilege access, they collect your Passport, scan them and you move on. As I mentioned before, I never had big problems in the summer at the border, but some post horror stories here, guess I was lucky

Dubrovnik, Croatia
Level Contributor
895 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Crossing the Montenegro border from Croatia

there were long delays at the border crossing last summer, specially on peak weekends as there were problems (power cuts) on the small border so all cars went through the main one. At the moment small border is closed as the new border crossing is under construction on Croatian side - if it doesn`t open on time (scheduled for July 1st) you can expect again huge delays. That is why so unspecific travel time

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
18,306 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Crossing the Montenegro border from Croatia

You know it will not open on time, nothing ever is in that part of the World,lol.

I would not worry to much. I have not experienced 5 hours wait, more like 30 min. I am sure it can happen, but that would be rather rare

Reply to: Crossing the Montenegro border from Croatia
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted