We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Douable trip from Rome to Furore?

Nebraska, USA
Level Contributor
391 posts
85 reviews
Save Topic
Douable trip from Rome to Furore?

Next summer my husband and I hope to make our dream trip to Italy a reality. My husband (we are both in late 50s) really wants to see some sites in/near Rome. We have traveled a lot, but this will be our first to Italy. We always rent a car when we vacation, and have driven through some odd places around the world, but since we are new to driving in Italy, want some advice. Is renting a car in Rome for a week or so and then driving to Furore for another week or 2, a good idea? The place I want to stay at in Furore has a place for a car. I really like the looks and what I read about Furore. We like to relax, wine and dine, do some site seeing, see Capri possibly, pretty open for other ideas. I know driving the Amalfi Coast is a challenge, but we feel we are up for it. Would it be better to rent scooters to travel around the coast on? We don't really like the idea of what all is involved in public transportation from Rome to Furore. We do not speak Italian, so this also may be a factor. Any advice is appreciated!

23 replies to this topic
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
96,159 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Douable trip from Rome to Furore?

Renting a car in Rome is a very bad idea. Almost all of central Rome is a restricted area, where visitors are not allowed to drive. Public transport in Rome is not difficult. Get hold of a guide book and read up about it. Millions of people visit Rome every year without being able to speak Italian.

I would not want a car in Furore: the roads are very difficult and parking will be very difficult everywhere except your accommodation. Travelling on scooters would be suicidal.

Nebraska, USA
Level Contributor
391 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Douable trip from Rome to Furore?

Ok, thanks for the advice, and I certainly do not want to do anything "suicidal"!

Turin
Level Contributor
9,014 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Douable trip from Rome to Furore?

Well maybe "suicidal" is a little bit extreme, but the AC is the last place on earth where you'd want to learn how to drive a scooter. Driving the AC in summer by car is not a challenge, it's boring as you spend half of the time either queuing or going backwards to make room for buses.

I don't get what are you going to do with a car in Rome and why driving without speaking Italian should be easier than taking a train or a bus without speaking Italian.

Portland, OR
Destination Expert
for Positano
Level Contributor
6,653 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Douable trip from Rome to Furore?

I agree - no car in Rome and depending on the time of year you are traveling it is generally a bad idea for the Amalfi Coast as well.

Coto de Caza...
Destination Expert
for Amalfi Coast
Level Contributor
2,961 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Douable trip from Rome to Furore?

I would not do a scooter on the AC. After nearly being run over by a tourist in a big Audi last year in late September while riding on the Praiano Eco-Taxi golf cart I prefer to be in an automobile or SITA bus. A tourist in a rental car caused the death of a local on a motorbike last year.

What time of year are you traveling?

Definitely no need for car in Rome. What are you planning to see?

Nebraska, USA
Level Contributor
391 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Douable trip from Rome to Furore?

Hopefully next July. Still researching all we want to see in Rome.

Portland, OR
Destination Expert
for Positano
Level Contributor
6,653 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Douable trip from Rome to Furore?

July? Definitely no car or scooter.

Chico, California
Level Contributor
99 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Douable trip from Rome to Furore?

My husband and I have traveled to Rome and Amalfi Coast twice and used metro in Rome, high speed train to Naples and bus to Amalfi~ However, we are returning this fall and plan to use the ferries on Amalfi rather than local buses as the buses get very crowded and ferries give such beautiful perspective of the coast line. We plan to take high speed train from Rome to Salerno and Ferry from Salerno to Amalfi town~ from there a short bus ride to Furore would be quite easy. We are still looking into options for lodging and have also looked at Furore as an option. Good luck with your planning and enjoy the process~ (I find the planning almost 1/2 as fun as actually going there!)

Ciao,

NOnnie_5_11

PS As far as language; I found a great CD & book (Berliz) at Barnes & Noble and love listening to CD in my car~ used it before other trips and found it really helped with basic communication. Rome is very language friendly as is Amalfi Coast with numerous tourists visiting there.

Nebraska, USA
Level Contributor
391 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Douable trip from Rome to Furore?

Thank you.

We have it all planned out, and actually are staying our last week in Cetara, not Furore. We will use high speed train between Rome/Florence and then rent a car for getting to Pisa, Civita and then Cetara. I also have found some good CDs to listen to while driving with learning some basic Italian. What is the name of the CD you praise? Do you happen to have the web site or name of where to search for more ferry info? We will have the rental car, but the ferry sounds wonderful too. We do plan a day boat tour over to Capri and back also.

Thanks again, Lori

Portland, OR
Destination Expert
for Positano
Level Contributor
6,653 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Douable trip from Rome to Furore?

Cetara is an absolutely charming village - one of my favorite restaurants on the AC is there. There is no ferry service to Cetara, but you could drive from Cetara to Salerno (15 minutes) and then take the ferry from Salerno to Amalfi/Ravello and Positano. There is also a ferry from Salerno to Capri, but it usually departs from the larger cruise ship Manfredi port. Parking in Amalfi, Positano and Ravello is scarce and expensive. There have been reports of people not finding parking and having to turn around and go back. If at all possible, return the car before you get to Cetara.

www.alicost.it and www.travelmar.it for ferry schedules.

Edited: 25 January 2017, 10:45
Reply to: Douable trip from Rome to Furore?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Furore