We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day Trips - Transportation Options??

Yorktown Heights...
Level Contributor
21 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Day Trips - Transportation Options??

My family & I are staying at an AirB&B in Furore for 2 weeks this July. We plan on traveling via train for 1 week to major cities but would like to spend the other week just taking daily local trips... Positano, Capri, Pompeii, Salerno...... I searched drivers but I've been quoted 130 euros EACH WAY EACH DAY. Even trying to do this for 5 days would cost us almost $1,400.00 - that's more than the airfare. On the flipside, I've been told by several people not to even attempt driving the Amalfi Coast as their roads are impossible to navigate. Finally, I'm reading that public transportation would require a train (or 2) plus 2 buses & it's not guaranteed that it will even stop every day or anywhere near where we are staying. Has anyone done day trips from Furore? If so, what is the best way to do this?

6 replies to this topic
Coto de Caza...
Destination Expert
for Amalfi Coast
Level Contributor
3,031 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day Trips - Transportation Options??

Your information is correct. Which major cities are you planning to visit from Furore? Nothing more than Naples, I hope, and even that will be an all-day event. Take a look at google maps to get an idea of Furore's location and terrain. A car would be your best option but you need to be prepared for bumper-to-bumper traffic (especially on weekends) and scarcity of parking along with nerve-wracking tight corners where buses have priority so that means not getting in their way and having to back up with a mile of cars behind you.

Honestly, I would re-think my plans for a two-week stay in Furore unless I were planning nothing more adventurous than staying put for the most part to enjoy the views, read, relax, maybe find my way down to the beach.

Yorktown Heights...
Level Contributor
21 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day Trips - Transportation Options??

Thanks. Unfortunately, that's what I thought. We were actually "given" a place in Furore to stay for free for those 2 weeks but have no intention of staying the entire time. We plan to travel (via high speed trains) to Florence & Rome for 7 of our 14 days. But that would still leave us with 1 week in Furore. I want my children to see Capri, Pompeii, etc. but it seems the transportation is going to cost more than just paying for a hotel in those towns.... So my options.... (1) stay put in Furore for 7 days (for free); (2) hire a driver to take us on day excursions & pay a fortune; or (3) rent a car & pray.

Coto de Caza...
Destination Expert
for Amalfi Coast
Level Contributor
3,031 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day Trips - Transportation Options??

Consider hiring a hiring a driver to pick you up and take you to Pompei enroute to or from Furore with your baggage staying in the car with the driver while you tour. It might cost somewhere in the neighborhood of 150-200 euro (maybe more) but the way to find out is to email a few of the companies frequently mentioned here on the forums or pick one from the "Transportation" links here on TA. Sorrento Cars (www.sorrentocars.com) is often recommended along with others.

For the Capri trip it's easily done from Amalfi by ferry. Go to www.travelmar.it for schedules. A taxi to and from Amalfi would be an option as would SITA bus which may (typically impossible or at least horrid along the AC coastal road in season) work on the line between Furore and Amalfi.

Portland, OR
Destination Expert
for Positano
Level Contributor
6,675 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day Trips - Transportation Options??

This website states that the Amalfi-Agerola bus also stops in Furore, so that may be another option for getting into Amalfi.

http://www.italyheaven.co.uk/furore.html

Yorktown Heights...
Level Contributor
21 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day Trips - Transportation Options??

I hate to bother again but I've just been reading so much about this topic that I am thoroughly confused. I will be staying in Furore (Via Roma) & still have a few questions (sorry). 1. Which bus (or buses) do I take to get to Positano? 2. Best way to get to Pompeii? 3. Which ferry is closest to go to Capri? 4. Can I rely on the SITA bus schedule - are they on time? And finally.... 5. As getting around by car would be far easier, would I really be saving much time this way as I've heard that it can take 2 to 3x longer driving than any gps would estimate given the terrain. I have no idea how far up Via Roma is but I've been told that driving out of and then back to Furore more than once is terrifying. Any advice would be appreciated as I'm having trouble compiling an itinerary without knowing how much time to allot for transportation. (Btw, I did look into private drivers - simply not affordable.) Thank you.

Portland, OR
Destination Expert
for Positano
Level Contributor
6,675 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day Trips - Transportation Options??

By looking at a map, you will see that Furore is about equidistant from Positano and Amalfi and ferries to Capri run from both towns.

Especially in July, the SITA bus schedule is merely a suggestion. And if the bus is full it may not stop because it cannot hold more passengers. You may have better luck on the Amalfi-Agerola bus line, as it would be used more by locals than tourists. If the Amalfi-Agerola bus does turn out to be your best option, then bus to Amalfi and ferry to Positano. You can also ferry from Amalfi to Salerno, then catch the train to Pompeii. The train stops in modern Pompeii and it is about a 20-minute walk to Pompeii.

Whomever "gave" you the rental should have info on public transportation or know a local who can help. One of the issues with having a rental car is not only will you be stuck in traffic, but parking when you get to your destination is scarce and expensive.

Reply to: Day Trips - Transportation Options??
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Furore