We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Night market

Manchester
Level Contributor
14 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Night market

Hi I'm going to Batu Ferrenghi in December and am looking forward to visiting the night market. How much would I be expected to pay for fake designer bags and watches?

Also are there lots of massage shop, like in Thailand? And what is the average price for foot massage and back massage.

Thanks for your help.

G 😃

12 replies to this topic
Penang Island...
Destination Expert
for Penang, Penang Island, George Town, Tanjung Bungah, Batu Ferringhi
Level Contributor
9,584 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Night market

I hope the night market doesn't disappoint you. It caters for the tourist market and keeps going because there is not much else for people to do in the evenings in Batu Ferringhi except wander up and down it. There are probably basically about six different stalls which get repeated endlessly. The quality is often poor and the items seconds so do examine everything carefully before buying, especially with items such as pashminas which may be in a sealed bag. You don't want to get them home before discovering the flaw or hole!

I'd also suggest you visit some of the cheaper malls on the island first to get an idea of prices before you find yourself paying more in the night market. How much you pay in the night market is then down to your bargaining skills. But don't expect to see lots of fake items - they're not allowed here.

If you want a much better night market with more individual items that you won't see elsewhere go over to Auto City on the mainland. Despite the name, it's a big entertainment zone with restaurants, shops and a real night market.

If you do find the Batu Ferringhi night market a real let down go down to George Town and wander round places such as Little India at night. Far more exciting. There are also a few places in George Town that have different night markets too.

As for massage places you won't find it at all like Thailand. As a Muslim country there is not a tradition of massages and most of the ones that you will find are Thai run. There is one place that many visitors go to run by the Foo family on the beach by the Golden Sands hotel.

Edited: 11 May 2017, 11:06
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
25 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Night market

I think the night market is more for a look/see rather than buy place. I don't mind the occasional wander up and down the main road where the market is. You may come across the odd bargain or two. But to give you an example,....my wife brought a genuine watch inside the Teso complex near Straits Quay. We went for a wander later on at the Batu Ferringhi night market where one vendor was selling watches... when she said to him we had a genuine Casio or whatever brand it was...he shouted...I have a genuine FAKE one at the same price!!...which was around RM90...he actually admitted it was a fake!

Most of the vendors don't seem to do the hard sell...but if you really want to buy something...bargain...never ever accept the first price.

I'm into the English Premier League and there are a couple of places that sell team shirts. However, unless you're a really small person, they won't fit you... an XL shirt from here is way smaller than an XL shirt in Australia. I've given away a couple of shirt cos they're way too small even though the label says XL.

But it's still a bit of fun walking through the market. The place has a buzz about it

Manchester
Level Contributor
14 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Night market

Thanks for your reply.

I'm getting a little concerned that there's not much to do in Batu Ferringhi and we are there for 9 nights over new year. Looks like we will be going into George Town quite often :)

Penang Island...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,584 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Night market

Gagibbo you do have a few things like Entopia, Tropical Fruit Farm, Art and Garden, National Park, Tropical Spice Gardens near to Batu Ferringhi. Don't know which hotel you're staying in but you may be able to take advantage of a hotel shuttle to a sister hotel in George Town if you're in the Golden Sands, Rasa Sayang or Lone Pine.

Manchester
Level Contributor
14 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Night market

Hi we are staying at the Lone Pine hotel.

Are taxis cheap? We will probably visit different areas in the evening.

We've been to KL before but never Penang.

Penang Island...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,584 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Night market

Download the Grab app before you leave the UK, and use that for taxis. Compared to U.K. prices taxis are cheap. You'll get one fairly easily coming back from George Town to Batu Ferringhi.

The Lone Pine runs a free shuttle bus down to its sister hotel the E&O in George Town. Okay to go down that way during the day.

Manchester
Level Contributor
14 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Night market

Thanks again for your reply, which is very helpful.

I'm starting to think maybe we chose the wrong place to go as I've read bad reviews about the Lone Pine Hotel!

I do however make my own opinions on places so will just have to see when we get there and hope my gut feelings at this moment are wrong 😃

Penang Island...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,584 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Night market

The Lone Pine does a very good Sunday lunch, and they have a good Japanese restaurant. Lots of people stay there for extended periods over the winter months so it can't be all that bad.

Manchester
Level Contributor
14 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Night market

That's good to hear. It does look like a really nice hotel in a good location 😃

Launceston...
Level Contributor
31 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Night market

Hi,

If it helps we are making our 2nd trip to Penang in 4 years and there is still stuff and new stuff going on since we were last there like the secret garden, the adventure park which I hear is now across from what was the Butterfly park with is now the Eco Park.

I would say you still have alot of research to do on the things you can do in Penang.

As for where you are staying, our first stop it our futher than ours then when we come back from Langkawi we are staying back towards Penang town.

Getting around Penang is easy so there is no problems there. Last visit we used the local buses heaps as it was so easy and regular it was living at home.

Reply to: Night market
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Batu Ferringhi
Recent Conversations