We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

wheelchair

australia
Level Contributor
882 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
wheelchair

Hi does anyone know if I can hire a wheelchair in Penang. We will be staying at the Golden Sands but I don't think they have any we can use. Any help will be appreciated Thank You

8 replies to this topic
Penang Island...
Destination Expert
for Penang, Penang Island, George Town, Tanjung Bungah, Batu Ferringhi
Level Contributor
11,107 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: wheelchair

Penang is not wheelchair friendly. If you are totally dependant on one when going out then I would seriously look for a different destination.

london
Level Contributor
317 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: wheelchair

could the same be said about pushchairs/buggies/prams?

Penang Island...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,107 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: wheelchair

Nobody uses a pram here but bring a pushchair/stroller if you need one. However depending on where you go you may find the uneven pavements and sheer number of steps a real problem. A webbing baby carrier is easier.

Level Contributor
14 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: wheelchair

George town around Gurney plaza and paragon are wheelchair friendly. Batu ferringi is not at all. I've pushed wheelchair in both area's and Gurney is easier.

2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: wheelchair

There are firms renting wheelchairs. I am in Batu Ferringhi now with a motorised scooter, and can say that tourist stretch where the food stalls and markets are not wheelchair friendly. The sidewalks are narrow, or uneven or bloacked by the shops, so extreme care is required, and the road has heavy traffic especially at night.

Kingswood, Australia
Level Contributor
396 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: wheelchair

Hi, we were just starting to plan a trip for Christmas this year. My 17 year old daughter has CP cannot walk and we travel with a folding chair.

We have just come back from Siem Reap Cambodia and Hoi An Vietnam, so are used to uneven pavements, traffic etc.

We are looking at Georgetown and Langkawi.

Thank You for any advise.

Level Contributor
14 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: wheelchair

George town around Gurney plaza and paragon are wheelchair friendly. Batu ferringi has uneven roads and footpaths

I've pushed wheelchair in both area's and Gurney is easier.

Penang Island...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,107 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: wheelchair

You might like to read this article written by parents travelling with a wheelchair user. Their comments about Penang Hill, Kek Lok Si and George Town may be reassuring and useful to you.

smithsholidayroad.com/2015/…

Reply to: wheelchair
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Batu Ferringhi