We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mosquitoes In June or July

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Mosquitoes In June or July

We are looking to travel to Holbox in June or July with our 14 month old. We are normally the target of bugs. Is this going to be unbearable?

4 replies to this topic
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mosquitoes In June or July

Bump

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
152 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Mosquitoes In June or July

Advice from GlobalHelpSwap concerning mosquitos in Holbox:

Mosquitoes in Holbox = One thing we did not like

The mosquitoes! Because Isla Holbox is unspoilt there is a lot of vegetation around which means lots and lots of mosquitoes. The island is even referred to as the island of mosquitoes by locals. Unfortunately it’s mosquito season all year round but the mosquitoes are their worst in June.

During the day prepare to get attacked by these tiny creatures. They’re so tiny that the locals call them ‘no-see-ums’. They are vicious so do come prepared. If you want to avoid having to cover yourselves in repellent day and night try this tip a local passed on to us. Slather yourself with baby oil. The no-see-ums tend to get stuck in it and don’t get the opportunity to bite you. I’m afraid it will have to be mosquito repellent in the evening.

#LoveYourTravels

Edited: 04 March 2017, 13:34
Washington DC
Level Contributor
1,930 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mosquitoes In June or July

No see-ums are not the same as mosquitoes - you can see them and usually hear them. They come out at sunset, Use bug spray.

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
152 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Mosquitoes In June or July

For sure. I think the author's piloint is that you may experience biting midges or sand flies at the beach and the local remedy is baby oil. You'll hear that advice from the locals and some hotels recommend you bring both baby oil and mosquito repellent. It's expensive on the island so I'd definitely pack some.

Reply to: Mosquitoes In June or July
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Holbox Island