We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Carnival On Holbox

Washington DC
Level Contributor
2,002 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Carnival On Holbox

The big surprise of my trip to Holbox this year was Carnival. It was fantastic. In the past it was just a ceremony in the Plaza and loud music into the night. This year it was parades, costumes, and singing & dancing in the street for days leading up to the Tuesday finale. Someone did his homework because the costumes were fantastic and the choreography worked out. But it was also inclusive so all ages could participate. Each group had a theme and special songs, there were the Hawaiians, Las Chicas Quetzal, Guerreras de Atzlan, and Safiro Tropical among others. After dark 4 groups a night would circulate stopping outside of restaurants to put on their show with 3-4 songs. Some of the groups had live bands and original songs about current events like the Carnival in Trinidad does. It really was a treat and everyone seemed to be enjoying the party. The only downside was that the music actually kept on until 3:30 -4 AM. I couldn't believe that the musicians could still be playing. I found out that the late music was from teens driving around in golf carts with boom boxes.

Mentioned in this post
Trinidad
Trinidad
Trinidad and Tobago
Rochester, New York
Level Contributor
759 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Carnival On Holbox

It was my first visit to Holbox, and I loved being there for Carnaval. The costumes, with all the sequins, feathers, and especially the elaborate headdresses were amazing. It was a really great celebration!

UNITED STATES
Level Contributor
3,231 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Carnival On Holbox

Thanks for the info! Hoping someday to get there during that time frame.

Loved Carnival in Zihua a few years back.

3. Re: Carnival On Holbox

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 March 2018, 16:17
Get answers to your questions about Holbox Island