We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip to Holbox from Cancun

Beaumont, Ca.
Level Contributor
531 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Day trip to Holbox from Cancun

We stay in Cancun twice a year for the last 15 years. We will be there next week and we have a rental car. We were thinking about a day trip to Holbox to see what it's all about and to explore to see if it is an option for future trips. Is there enough time for a day trip? Any tips, pros or cons? Any tips on how to get there? Thank you.

18 replies to this topic
Birch Bay...
Level Contributor
150 posts
1 review
Save Reply
11. Re: Day trip to Holbox from Cancun

Marilyn,

Our friend just pointed to it, but it was end of day, so didn't really pay attention. I looked on map and it could have been Hotel Los Arcos. On the main road that comes up from ferry. I looked, and their rates look close, very basic, Trip advisor comment, stated best for least , idea.

Also, check the Holboxeno site, if u haven't already. Gives all info for Holbox.

Also, check old threads for cheap one night rooms, or start a new one. As I looked back, there's a lot of of informative posters.

For those of us that have never been, it was the highlight of my trip, to even get a glimpse of this gorgeous place! It was well worth the day trip, and I'm sure you'll enjoy it, especially spending a night or two!

Have a fabulous time!

Ohio
Level Contributor
163 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Day trip to Holbox from Cancun

We were also considering a day trip to Holbox. We can easily rent a car for the day in Cancun to make the drive. It is a toss up between Holbox or Ek Balam. Thoughts?

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
45,064 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Day trip to Holbox from Cancun

I really like both Holbox and Ek Balam but for a hurried day trip the island would be my choice. The Island was a favorite of mine for years now would take weekend trips there but with its growing popularity it's pretty much priced itself out of my hotel budget. And I never paid even the 600 peso figure for a room. I fear what will happen to it when you see if what is happened to places like Isla Mujeres.

Edited: 11 March 2017, 14:32
saskatoon
Level Contributor
112 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Day trip to Holbox from Cancun

MicheleMelanie, thanks for the info. Will check out the website and hotel. Yes, just looking for an affordable, clean basic place.

UNITED STATES
Level Contributor
3,108 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Day trip to Holbox from Cancun

we are doing Holbox for the first time soon....if you love Ruins...Ek Balam is a-m-a-z-I-n-g ! We were in heaven climbing, learning, exploring them a few years ago. We want to get back in a few years to see what else has been uncovered. These ruins are not to be missed and very cool to visit as there are so few people compared to the 'other" local ruins and the magnificent structures....

So if you love ruins.these are not to be missed....as far as Holbox...we will let you know in the next month.

Safe travels all.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
4 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Day trip to Holbox from Cancun

Awesome information. Thanks for the Post. We will be doing the same trip December 2017. I'm hoping to get in a overnight trip to Holbox.

michigan
Level Contributor
342 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Day trip to Holbox from Cancun

Thank you for taking the time to report back to us!

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
164 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Day trip to Holbox from Cancun

Do yourself a favor and stay the night on Holbox! You will regret it afterwards for sure if you don’t.

Reply to: Day trip to Holbox from Cancun
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Holbox Island