We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip to Holbox from Cancun

Beaumont, Ca.
Level Contributor
532 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Day trip to Holbox from Cancun

We stay in Cancun twice a year for the last 15 years. We will be there next week and we have a rental car. We were thinking about a day trip to Holbox to see what it's all about and to explore to see if it is an option for future trips. Is there enough time for a day trip? Any tips, pros or cons? Any tips on how to get there? Thank you.

18 replies to this topic
Washington DC
Level Contributor
1,893 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip to Holbox from Cancun

It is doable as a day trip. Take the Cuota and the turn off for Caquilla to the ferry. I would recommend staying overnight though as a hotel can give you access to lounging on the beach, and you can eat dinner at one of the excellent restaurants and see the village night life in the plaza. There are not really any sights to see in the daytime.

Silverton, Oregon
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip to Holbox from Cancun

its a 3 hour bus ride and a 30 minute ferry ride each way. so that doesn't leave you much time to explore but you could see the small downtown area. We love the place and will be staying there in February.

Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
5,335 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip to Holbox from Cancun

I would not do Holbox in a day. To much traveling on a highway not to park it for the night and relax.

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
266 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trip to Holbox from Cancun

I concur with spending a night in Holbox. You will spend more time traveling than on the island if you try to do it in one day.

Birch Bay...
Level Contributor
150 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trip to Holbox from Cancun

I'm hoping to do a day trip, thought if we left Cancun by 7am, drive with a local who knows the area, we could be on Holbox by 10-11amish, have a few hours for lunch, some exploring of the beaches and locally owned shops etc. Leave the island late afternoon, be back to Cancun early evening?

We've never been, already booked our accommodations in Cancun, so really wanted to just see it for ourselves, whether we would want to return and stay a few nights in the future. I didn't think it was too unrealistic, but is it?

Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
5,335 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day trip to Holbox from Cancun

I guess it comes from that frantic pace of living and go go go lifestyle that a lot of people can handle. It can be done. I mean your on vacation, and to spend most of the day driving and taking a ferry would be too much for me. Every one is different however, and if your leaning on pressing the metal, then by all means go for it.

Birch Bay...
Level Contributor
150 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Day trip to Holbox from Cancun

Thx Chris! I understand what u mean, I don't usually like being in the run either. But we have 2 weeks, and this was a priority, as the last couple years we've stayed in PDC and Aventuras Akumal, and had read about Holbox and never had a chance to see for ourselves.

We've done some of the touristy excursions in the past, but this trip we don't plan on a lot but maybe a colectivo to Akumal/Tulum area.

If we weren't on such a tight budget, and had our accommodation already, I'd love to spend the night on Holbox.

Birch Bay...
Level Contributor
150 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Day trip to Holbox from Cancun

Well after 2 weeks of wonderful weather, we're back home in chilly Washington!

We did the day trip to Holbox, and it was gorgeous!

We left HZ in Cancun at 730am, which was not the best departure time as rush hour, so our friend (driver) took a bit of detour south then around west side of Cancun. We made a couple of stops, looked for parking around ferry ( we had a van ) was easy enough, but just missed 11am ferry. We could have easily taken a panga? for same price of ferry and been to Isla quickly, but one of our party wanted the relaxation of the ferry. Soooo, had to wait for 1130 and of course it didn't leave on time, so was time consuming for a day trip. I would recommend the panga!

We also heard ( our driver inquired later) that once arriving to take golf cart taxi and request a good golf cart rental place.(I had heard of a place around town square, but when walking we didn't find it, and had taken too much time, but apparently that's the one that was recommended later! ) We chose to walk into town and the first couple rental places were out of golf carts, so we ended up with a very dilapidated one, but it did the job. But we did waste time on this.

We then went to Raicies beach bar ( recommended off of here). had a delicious lunch, freshest fish ceviche ever! listening to music from a band on the beach, which was fun! They are a bit slower in service, which was fine, as they had paddle board rentals right next door on the beach, which is one thing we wanted to do, coming from the surf of Cancun! It was absolutely amazing! It helped that the weather couldn't have been better, it was a glorious day.

Then continued with the golf cart down past the beach hotels, what fantastic places! Turned around and went to the west end to a quiet beach I had heard of, off of here, Was a little worried about our golf cart as the road had some pretty big ruts (holes). But it was a great ride! Headed back into town, decided to return cart and wander around town a bit, before meeting up with our driver. Stopped and had a snack and a great Margarita and change back into our travelling clothes.

By this time we decided to catch 5pm ferry back to Chiquila. Didn't take as long to return to Cancun. We were back having dinner at our AI by 8pm.

It was a long day, but we did enjoy the drive and seeing the small towns, our friend was very informative.

I'm very glad we did it! Isla Holbox is all that I heard it was, gorgeous! Our friend did say that he found a hotel in town for 600 pesos,(around $30 us) basic room with A/C, if a person wanted to arrive and wander around, have dinner, early to bed, get up for an excursion, return to mainland the next afternoon. He does his own taxi/excursions, and had never been to Holbox either, so it was great for some research for future clients. But as I was the one of our group that pressed for this day trip, the others were not up for spending the night, when we had our AI back in Cancun. Next time!

UNITED STATES
Level Contributor
3,110 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Day trip to Holbox from Cancun

thank you for your time/post.

saskatoon
Level Contributor
112 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Day trip to Holbox from Cancun

Thanks for your post about your day trip. We are thinking of doing the same, a first time to Holbox but travelling from Playa so will stay at least one night in Holbox. You mention a hotel in town for 600 pesos, any idea of the name of this hotel? Seeing how we are already paying for a place at Playa, I'd like to keep costs down if possible.

Reply to: Day trip to Holbox from Cancun
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Holbox Island