We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Souvenirs in Malia question.

Netanya, Israel
Level Contributor
12,902 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Souvenirs in Malia question.

Hi everybody,

It's going to be our first visit to Greece/Crete ever. What souvenirs, unique to Crete are there to shop for in Malia? I've seen many plates, with Ancient Greek motived ornaments, - never liked those. What else is there?

Which souvenir stores come better recommended? Are there any tips for successful souvenir shopping in Malia?

Thank you very much.

Yuri.

11 replies to this topic
The Stunning...
Destination Expert
for Scottish Highlands, Crete
Level Contributor
26,222 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Souvenirs in Malia question.

Among the things we like Crete is very famous for it's pottery and we also really like some of the items made out of olive wood.

Netanya, Israel
Level Contributor
12,902 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Souvenirs in Malia question.

Thanks for the post. Olive wood made stuff, - we have it like dirt, in our neck of the woods. Pottery? We'll definitely be checking it out.

Yuri.

The Stunning...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
26,222 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Souvenirs in Malia question.

Olive Oil is another Cretan speciality as is honey (but then you live in the land of "milk and honey" :-))

Netanya, Israel
Level Contributor
12,902 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Souvenirs in Malia question.

Yep, you're right about the Milk&Honey - btw, it's a name of new Israeli whisky. They've sold the first batch already. I even haven't tasted it yet. All I know: it's whisky, not whiskey.

Honey! Is there any special type of honey on Crete? Where does one shop for proper honey in Malia?

My family members are devoted honey consumers. We've got plenty of local honey here, but the best honey - we receive from Bretforton, Worcestershire. It's even called "Bretfrton Gold". Lullingstone Lavender Honey from Kent, is another huge hit with my guys.

Yuri.

Kelso
Level Contributor
1,391 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Souvenirs in Malia question.

You've got that the wrong way round. It's only Whisky if it's made in Scotland. Elsewhere it's Whiskey.

The Stunning...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
26,222 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Souvenirs in Malia question.

It's definitely spelt Whisky TweedKelso and the distillery is in Tel Aviv.

Bristol, United...
Destination Expert
for Messenia Region, Laconia Region, Magnesia Region
Level Contributor
6,523 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Souvenirs in Malia question.

Yuri I hope you know that Malia is an 18-30 type resort with loud bars, clubs and fast food places, and is popular with young Brits who want to get drunk and party? We once stopped in Malia for breakfast on the way to the airport and we were horrified at how tacky it was - I can’t imagine anywhere less Greek. Having seen your many posts on the UK forums I wonder if Malia is a good choice for you.

Netanya, Israel
Level Contributor
12,902 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Souvenirs in Malia question.

2bristolians, we'll be staying in a smallish family-run hotel on the outskirts of Malia. It's a families oriented type of a place. We're not planning to explore much. This is our End of Summer getaway, - lazy poolside only. We'll be going out for the main meals, but way earlier on a day than party time.

Anyway, the girls shall be so tired by night, they'll sleep well even If partying would be next to them. We had such an experience once, at Travelodge Covent Garden - Stag party on our left, Hen party on our right. It was my elder daughter only, but she slept well. I got myself so heavily Doom Bared at The White Hart in front of hotel, - slept like a baby too.

Thank you for the warning. I don't know Crete and Malia altogether.

Yuri.

The Stunning...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
26,222 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Souvenirs in Malia question.

Where Yuri is staying was recommended by friends of his who have stayed there and have families. It is also close to Stalis in a quiet area and has good reviews on TA from families who have stayed (my first reaction to Malia was also to point out to him that it is an 18-23 type resort).

Bristol, United...
Destination Expert
for Messenia Region, Laconia Region, Magnesia Region
Level Contributor
6,523 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Souvenirs in Malia question.

That's good. Have a relaxing holiday Yuri!

Reply to: Souvenirs in Malia question.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Malia
Recent Conversations