We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving to Peisey Vallandry Easter 2023

Eastbourne
Level Contributor
31 posts
4 reviews
14 helpful votes
Driving to Peisey Vallandry Easter 2023

Hi

We are driving to Peisey Vallandry on Saturday 1 April 2023 and want to avoid the worst of the traffic, which from previous experience is on the approach into the Alps. We are quite happy to arrive in resort late on Saturday as the ski holiday starts Sunday. We were thinking off leaving Calais around midday in the hope that the traffic into the Alps may ease off early evening on a Saturday but is that wishful thinking!? Any tips or advice much appreciated.

3 replies to this topic
Champlon, Belgium
Level Contributor
18,844 posts
7 reviews
5 helpful votes
1. Re: Driving to Peisey Vallandry Easter 2023

Taking the quickest A26, A5, A31, A39, A40 route you are looking at a minimum drive time of 9½ hours without stops (you need to add a minimum of 1½ hours) and without any allowance for traffic delays. The final 2½ hours are going to be on D roads in the dark, at least partly in mountain areas, if you don't start out from Calais before midday.

I suspect that with that plan, traffic jams may prove to be the least of your problems, misjudging a bend while hurrying, tired, on a mountain road in the dark and running off the road is perhaps more likely. With experience I wouldn't attempt a drive like that in a day but if I did I would certainly want to start out much earlier.

I suspect that the roads won't be too busy anyway, it is a week before an early-ish Easter so there shouldn't be any significant school holiday traffic. Traversing Annecy and the west side of the lake may be slow, but it often is.

Eastbourne
Level Contributor
31 posts
4 reviews
14 helpful votes
2. Re: Driving to Peisey Vallandry Easter 2023

Many thanks. Good advice. I will probably look to stay overnight somewhere south of Lyon then to the final couple of hours into resort early Sunday.

Champlon, Belgium
Level Contributor
18,844 posts
7 reviews
5 helpful votes
3. Re: Driving to Peisey Vallandry Easter 2023

Very wise!

Reply to: Driving to Peisey Vallandry Easter 2023
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Peisey-Vallandry
More Peisey-Vallandry Topics
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Australia. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.