We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Westin Vs Sheraton - Major differences...

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
730 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Westin Vs Sheraton - Major differences...

Hello all,

I have been going back and forth regarding rather to choose the Sheraton versus The Westin property for our upcoming stay. It would just be my husband and I celebrating our anniversary. I'm trying to figure out which property has the most modern and updated rooms and the best beach and oceanviews. What are the pros and cons to both?

Thanks

13 replies to this topic
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
547 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Westin Vs Sheraton - Major differences...

Hi Bookitqueen

I'm going to be honest with you... the big international hotels don't have the best resorts in Fiji - far from it in fact. That's why you haven't had many responses to your 2 questions on the topic. Fiji is a series of small Island groupings - for the big brands to make money, they need 80%+ occupancy in a hotel with 100+ rooms, and that's just not Fiji. That is Denerau Island which Basil_Mo explained, but it's not Fiji. If it's just for a night either side of your flight to and from the US, frankly either will do.

If you are thinking about white sandy beaches, palm trees and crystal blue waters, you aren't going to get that from the Sheraton, the Westin, the Sofitel etc. If earning, or redeeming points is the priority, then the Sheraton Tokoriki, or the Intercontinental might work.

But if you want the true Fijian experience, with all those features, amazing service from beautiful people, and, perhaps adults only, then please let us know, and give us an indication of your nightly budget and you'll get some great recommendations.

Please don't take this the wrong way - I don't want you to travel all this way, only to spend a week at Denerau!

Mentioned in this post
Fiji
Fiji
South Pacific
Nelson-Tasman...
Level Contributor
8,799 posts
467 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Westin Vs Sheraton - Major differences...

the beach at Denerau is not very nice. Its a dirty coloured beach and sea (denerau is a reclaimed swamp area and is basically built for tourist accommodation. For your anniversary I suggest somewhere else if you want nice beaches.

The thing with Denerau hotels is you could be at any major resort anywhere in the world - pool, bar, food, catering for thr masses.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
730 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Westin Vs Sheraton - Major differences...

Hi there, I am splitting my trip up and will be staying on another islands for the other half of my trip. I am fully aware of the differences of the Mainland versus the beauty of the other Islands. No worries, I got that part covered.

Edited: 17 January 2018, 18:04
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji
Level Contributor
5,296 posts
272 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Westin Vs Sheraton - Major differences...

<<<<I'm trying to figure out which property has the most modern and updated rooms and the best beach and oceanviews>>>

There is no Best beach at Denarau. If it is just for a night before or after a trip in the Yasawas maybe First landing Beach resort and villas is an option

Mentioned in this post
First Landing Beach Resort & Villas
First Landing Beach...
909 Reviews
Viti Levu, Fiji
Sydney
Level Contributor
62 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Westin Vs Sheraton - Major differences...

We have stayed at the Westin and Sofitel before and after stays on the islands.

The spa suites at the Westin appear new, they are in the adults only area with lap pool and were very comfortable for a 1 or 2 night stay.

I would not return to the Sofitel, the adults only area was crowded with badly behaved tourists and the rooms were very basic and small.

sorry have not stayed at the Sheraton.

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
19 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Westin Vs Sheraton - Major differences...

Stayed at both this past December. Westin room was ocean breeze , no view, outdated room.Sheraton upgraded us to oceanfront room , modern, property more spacious- upscale . Westin homey feel,small pool , Sheraton great pool ,busier feel.Hope that helps

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
19 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Westin Vs Sheraton - Major differences...

Westin spa suites are located “ off” the main properties, (you can google a resort map), no where near the beach , but right at the adult only lap pool and gym which is shared with the Sheraton .

Level Contributor
59 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Westin Vs Sheraton - Major differences...

We have stayed at both and often return to The Westin. A bit more adult focused - still kids but not as many as the Sheraton. Smaller resort than the Sheraton. Buffet breakfast is excellent and the beds are so comfy. Easy to walk everywhere and Sheraton close by.

If it were just my husband and I staying in Denarau we would always stay at either The Westin or Beach Club at The Sofitel. You will love it.

London
Level Contributor
1 post
69 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Westin Vs Sheraton - Major differences...

if you had 3 days before a cruise where would you stay on fiji., i.e. is it foolish to go to one of the islands for such a short time?

Tauranga, New...
Level Contributor
44 posts
212 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Westin Vs Sheraton - Major differences...

We have stayed in both. The beauty of the brand is that you can use all the facilities and restaurants. Westin has a better and quieter breakfast buffet which you can use even staying at the Sheraton.

If staying in an oceanfront room there is probably at bit more privacy at the Sheraton from others walking past the rooms. Westin rooms are very close to the walkway. Beds are comfy in both resorts. Westin interior rooms can be a little darker inside but Westin in my opinion has a better pool area and less children.

I prefer Sheraton oceanfront rooms than Westin, a more expansive view and a lighter brighter room.

The beach, altho swimmable is not the best to look at.

Reply to: Westin Vs Sheraton - Major differences...
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted