We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which day trip to choose for non-drinking parents n snorkel?

Level Contributor
16 posts
18 reviews
Which day trip to choose for non-drinking parents n snorkel?

Dear all,

We plan to go to Fiji for the first time with parents (60 years old, but quite active, enjoy snorkeling ) and booked resort in Denarau island and plan to take day tours to islands.

I had find many options on TripAdvisor and I have read lots of reviews.

As we travel with parents who don't drink, we don't care whether there is unlimited drinks provided. Some cruises have great rating that compliment the unlimited drinks provided. But has complaints about people drunk, swore and vomit up on board, which we would like to avoid.

However, we do want to go to a tour that take us to good snorkeling places and a beautiful island with seating and shades, hopefully decent food.

From the review, Malamala Beach Club provides good food and a beautiful island with seating and shades. However, it seems that the snorkeling is not as good.

Any of these that you would recommend?

Southsea island cruise ( South Sea Cruises)

Castaway Island Day Cruise ( South Sea Cruise)

Mana Island Day Cruise ( South Sea Cruises)

Savala Island Day Cruise (Oolala Cruises)

Nadi Tivua Island Cruise (Captain cook)

Whales Tale Cruise

Thank you in advance.

8 replies to this topic
Dunedin
Destination Expert
for Mana Island, Fiji
Level Contributor
2,385 posts
38 reviews
1. Re: Which day trip to choose for non-drinking parents n snorkel?

Bula Kiy_JE_ I don't think rowdy behaviour etc is the norm. for all day trips. If you don't want to be exposed to alcohol, the South Seas Island Cruise to Mana or Castaway may suit. Depart Port Denarau (9am and return to Denarau 6pm) on the Tiger IV/V or similar ferry - no free/unlimited drinks are provided for guests on this ferry (unless you purchase). Mana is a beautiful place (3 beaches, & great snorkelling in safe waters) Lunch is included (on Mana) Mana is closed off from March 2018 until around mid-July 2018 due to a filming charter. Castaway I think only takes a limited number of day trippers now. Oolala Cruises offers unlimited drinks. Whales Tale Cruise which I have done, starts with champagne breakfast, and unlimited drinks on boat or during the Island lunch and return trip.

The cruise on the Seaspray (leave Denarau on ferry and connect with the Seaspray at Mana) offers unlimited drinks on leaving Mana, lunch is provided on board, visit the Island where Cast Away movie was made, Yanyua Village etc. return to Mana in time to connect with ferry back to Denarau (leaves at 4.30-4.45pm). From memory Tivua Island cruise offers drinks once on the Island. Malamala Beach Club visit may suit - not sure if they offer drinks on way out and on way back.

Level Contributor
16 posts
18 reviews
2. Re: Which day trip to choose for non-drinking parents n snorkel?

Thank you very much flicarose for all the detailed information.

It was the comments about rowdy behavior in some of the reviews that I was worried about.

We won't mind if it is a short trip, but worried that would make my parents uncomfortable.

It is great to know that it is not something that happens often!

I will definitely look into mama island tour, Malamala Beach and Tivua Island tour.

Thanks again for taking time to answer the question.

Edited: 09 January 2018, 14:52
Pacific Coast...
Destination Expert
for Fiji, Mamanuca Islands, Navini Island
Level Contributor
10,262 posts
150 reviews
3. Re: Which day trip to choose for non-drinking parents n snorkel?

Malamala is a unique day spa experience rather than a snorkeling/island experience. Oolala gets good reviews.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji
Level Contributor
6,473 posts
283 reviews
4. Re: Which day trip to choose for non-drinking parents n snorkel?

I would suggest you do Mana island cruise it has a north and south beach to swim/snorkel from and then you have a choice if it is a windy day.

Level Contributor
16 posts
18 reviews
5. Re: Which day trip to choose for non-drinking parents n snorkel?

We are back from our first trip to fiji and already booked the next one. I think fiji is addictive. Here are some reports on the day trips.

We went on tivua island tour, south sea island day tour and Robinson Crusoe day n night tour. They were all great.

Tivua has the best snorkeling amongst 3.

South sea is a short trip to get to which is great. We went in Jan and it was very very hot, so it was great that they provided free soft drinks and water.

Robinson Crusoe village day tour was to visit a local village first, which was a quite authentic experience.

Robinson. Crusoe night tour has lovo, fire walking and the MOST AMAZING fire dancing show.

We stayed at Denarau island and there r free fire dancing shows on most nights, which is great. But Robinson Crusoe fire dancers are amazing and well worth the trip.

Thanks again for all the suggestions.

Edited: 06 March 2018, 22:34
Bellingham...
Level Contributor
23 posts
6. Re: Which day trip to choose for non-drinking parents n snorkel?

We did the South Seas combo trip. If snorkeling is your focus you may want to chose a different tour. We did snorkel, but that is not the main focus of that particular package.

I did want to say that there was free beer and wine while on South Seas Island, and for purchase on the boat, but no one was drunk or rowdy.

Auckland
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
7. Re: Which day trip to choose for non-drinking parents n snorkel?

Hi. Thanks for sharing your experience. Can I please ask if the tour operators you used were punctual and which tour companies did you use? We will be going on a cruise to Fiji in July and will have one day in Port Denarau, hence keeping to schedule is important.

Auckland
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
8. Re: Which day trip to choose for non-drinking parents n snorkel?

Hi. Thanks for sharing your experience. Can I please ask if the tour operators you used were punctual and which tour companies did you use? We will be going on a cruise to Fiji in July and will have one day in Port Denarau, hence keeping to schedule is important. Thank you

Reply to: Which day trip to choose for non-drinking parents n snorkel?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted