We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fiji currency

Warwick, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Fiji currency

Hi, travelling from NZ to Fiji in Feb.... is it best to get currency from NZ or change it in Fiji? Told that American dollars are used there too.... wondering whats best to do. Staying for 6 nughts breakfast only. Advice please.

Thanks

Bev

12 replies to this topic
Dunedin
Destination Expert
for Mana Island, Fiji
Level Contributor
2,348 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fiji currency

Hi 574bevh - Best to exchange NZ currency on arrival at Nadi Airport - at the Western Union Kiosk just out of Customs. There are no charges to do this. $US? Fiji has its own currency (FJ$) but some duty free shops 'may' accept US$. Local shops, restaurants etc. would not accept US$. Taking money out of an ATM will incur a foreign transaction fee plus a fee for 'using the machine'. Usually only $1,000 cash at a time able to be taken out. Scroll through this forum for more information - there are many many posts re exchanging money. If paying for accommodation etc. using a credit card there are fees charged - 3% and upwards. Depends where you are staying.

Warwick, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fiji currency

Thank you for this. My accommodation is already paid so it's just evening meals and any trips and sundries.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji
Level Contributor
5,698 posts
282 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fiji currency

As per post #1 you are better off getting money exchanged at the Western Union Desk as you will probably find it cheaper than doing it in the USA before leaving.

Yes as others point out just be careful of credit card fees if you use that to pay for your meals.

Kamloops, BC
Level Contributor
146 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fiji currency

So, we can exchange say $400 Canadian dollars for FJD at the Western Union? Are they open 24 hours? Are they able to give the smaller bills that we seem to need? Thx

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji
Level Contributor
5,698 posts
282 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fiji currency

I have no doubt they will have smaller bills and yes the office at the end of the arrivals hall is open for all arrivals as far as I am aware. You should have no trouble changing your currency at a good rate.

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Yasawa Islands
Level Contributor
2,212 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fiji currency

We always specify the denominations we want, and have never been refused. Possibly might depend on whether they have had a lot of requests for any particular notes.

Edited: 10 February 2018, 11:02
Kamloops, BC
Level Contributor
146 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fiji currency

Thank you. I feel more confident now. :)

Bellingham...
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Fiji currency

We just returned from Fiji and are from The States. I don’t think anyplace takes $US. We used Fiji cash or plastic (with a small fee). We were also able to use our US bank debit card at ATM machines to get Fiji currency but there was a fee.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji
Level Contributor
5,698 posts
282 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Fiji currency

KKCKCK, Navutu Stars resort in the Yasawas does take US Dollars from trip advisor reviews but generally around Fiji no.

Dunedin
Destination Expert
for Mana Island, Fiji
Level Contributor
2,348 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Fiji currency

Western Union Kiosk at the Airport is open for ALL arriving and departing flights - even if they've been delayed or at some very early time in the mornings, or late at night. There are no fees charged. Had a quick look at exchange rates and for $400 Canadian you should yield around $642FJ$ - could be a few cents more or a few cents less. Yes, do try and get smaller notes, as you'll need these for purchases made at 'local' outlets, grocery shops, taxis etc. You don't say which area in Fiji you are travelling to. If not all pre-paid, usually resort accommodation/meals/drinks are paid for on departure - either cash or credit card (there will be a fee for cc) Some of the upmarket duty free shops, (Prouds, Tapoos, and from memory Jacs) will take US$ if need be, plus the expensive 'gold jewellery' outlets in the larger towns. As far as I know Namotu Island (popular surf location) still takes US$.

Reply to: Fiji currency
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted