We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Denarau travel review - Nov 2017

1 post
Save Topic
Denarau travel review - Nov 2017

Hi, having just returned from a relaxing stay in Denarau I thought I'd do my first trip review as I looked at quite a few tripadvisor posts before we left and found them very helpful.

I travelled from NZ with my wife, 3 year old son and 4 month old son. We stayed at Radisson Blu in Denarau. First tip is to buy duty free booze in NZ, I found prices were slightly better and after the airport and plane etc with kids we couldn't be bothered with duty-free at the other end.

Taxi to Denarau was about FJ$40. As an aside, the return airport taxi from Denarau cost about the same.

Radisson Blu was in a word...AMAZING. Everything was tailored to having a relaxing, care-free time, regardless of how you were travelling, but especially for families. We had a one bed suite which was perfect as it also had a kitchen and washing machine, which we found essential. As we had brought a lot of food with us for easy breakfast, snacks and dinner for 3 year old when we went out once or twice.

Radisson (and every other resort) has a kids club, but have to check whether they need to be 3 or 4 to be left unattended. As Radisson kids club required children to be 4 or older we needed to get a minder (so cost $40 for 3 hours instead of the usual $15). But getting a child minder was awesome for going out for a dinner or 2, about $45 for 2 kids for 3 hours.

In terms of food, pretty expensive over all for what you get, but from reading the posts I was expecting this. And you actually get used to paying about $40 for a pizza by the end of the trip which is a bit scary :s We had the best degustation dinner next door at the Sheraton Flying Fish, beachfront and the tables were actually in the sand, primo location! Sheraton also had potentially the best buffet breakfast I've ever had, and was very reasonable ($25 pp). Drinks pretty expensive, so try and stick to happy hours (generally sometime between 2 and 6) where you'll get a tasty Fiji Gold for $7. None of the other food we had was anything too special, the usual buffets, pub kind of food, the Thai at the Radisson was pretty good, but again really expensive. Most places will do some sort of kids eat free kind of deal.

The Radisson had complementary watersports, kayaks, SUPs, sail boat etc, but make sure to go in mornings as the wind seemed to pick up around lunch and afternoon and then they'd shut up shop and you couldn't use them. We also did this thing where you attend a presentation by one of the resorts where at the end you can choose to sign up with them or not, and in return for the hour and a half of time they will give you a South Sea Cruises boat ride which was cool.

Bottom line, Fijians are so nice, they bend over backwards to make your stay a pleasurable one. Yes some of it was pretty expensive, but if you get over that and you can work around it a little by bringing some of your own food/booze then it is a really relaxing, fun and memorable vacation. Definitely be going back!

Cam

Mentioned in this post
Flying Fish
Flying Fish
1,275 Reviews
Viti Levu, Fiji
Fiji
Fiji
South Pacific
South Sea Cruises
South Sea Cruises
1,149 Reviews
Viti Levu, Fiji
3 replies to this topic
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji
Level Contributor
5,304 posts
272 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Denarau travel review - Nov 2017

Yes we have found that although the fijians are wonderful people it is no longer regarded as a cheap holiday destination.

In saying that we will be visiting two Islands again in May 2018.

Reno, Nv
Destination Expert
for Matangi Island, Fiji
Level Contributor
5,831 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Denarau travel review - Nov 2017

Hi Cam,

You might copy and paste your posting to the review section for the Radisson. Will be helpful/informative to others looking to stay at the resort.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/UserReviewEdit-g…

Bellingen, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji, Mamanuca Islands, Navini Island
Level Contributor
9,848 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Denarau travel review - Nov 2017

Hi Cam

Are you able to post this in the reviews of Denarau it will be easier for poeple to find if they are looking for info.

Unfortunately Fiji is becoming expensive if they reversed the credi card charges it would help.Thanks for sharing.

Edited: 07 December 2017, 09:48
Mentioned in this post
Fiji
Fiji
South Pacific
Reply to: Denarau travel review - Nov 2017
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted