We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

taking food into Fiji

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1 post
8 reviews
Save Topic
taking food into Fiji

we are staying in Sheraton Villas and was wondering whether it is a good idea to take nibbles, dips dry biscuits, nuts etc to snack on during our stay as i am told these are hard to obtain in Fiji

Mentioned in this post
Fiji
Fiji
South Pacific
17 replies to this topic
Taranaki, New...
Level Contributor
39 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: taking food into Fiji

Thanks for finding out

Townsville...
Level Contributor
1 post
65 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: taking food into Fiji

It depends on where you are staying and how far away form a large town you will be. I always prefer to buy all of my food in the country I am visiting. Any of the larger towns will have small supermarkets where you can buy snacks, etc. Just be aware that you are not going to find a Coles or Woolworths size supermarket anywhere in Fiji.

Mentioned in this post
Fiji
Fiji
South Pacific
1 post
Save Reply
13. Re: taking food into Fiji

Hi. What else does she take? We’re making our second trip this year with a 5 year old and want to be prepared! Thanks.

Dunedin
Destination Expert
for Mana Island, Fiji
Level Contributor
2,321 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: taking food into Fiji

Here is a list of foods okay and not okay into Fiji - Be mindful of where certain items of food 'originate' from. All should be in original packaging and in your main luggage (which goes into the plane's cargo hold.

Declare ALL.

Even although Maggi chicken noodles originate from Fiji - they will say probably say no. Not every brand that is easily obtained in OZ or NZ is available in Fiji - if it is, will be imported, very expensive prices.

https:/…83973380

Mentioned in this post
Fiji
Fiji
South Pacific
Level Contributor
2 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: taking food into Fiji

I brought everything with me! Not only snacks but pasta, rice, canned goods, etc...as I didn’t want to waste time on grocery trips and didn’t know how much things costed here or whether food was the same.

I’m glad I did because groceries are so expensive (I don’t know how the locals here survive to be honest). A small can of tuna is like $4FJD!!

I declared that I had food on my incoming passenger card and no one asked me a thing!

Bring as much as you can if you have the space.

The one thing you may need to but lots of here at the Supermarket is bottled water as tap water is undrinkable and resorts will slug you up to $8 FJD for a 500ml bottle. Hope this helps you. 😀

Katikati, New...
Level Contributor
12 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: taking food into Fiji

Yes. As a frequent visitor to Fiji we always take our nibbles. e.g. Cheese (but only New Zealand or Australian cheese is permitted). Crackers etc are twice the price in Fiji as are potato crisps, etc. Only time I had anything taken off me was rice last month when we visited. Their excuse is they must protect the local growers. I was ok with that but when I bought more at the local supermarket it was imported from Vietnam. So can't figure that one out. Hope this helps.

Mentioned in this post
Fiji
Fiji
South Pacific
Katikati, New...
Level Contributor
12 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: taking food into Fiji

Here is a great site for what food you can and what you cannot take into Fiji.

baf.com.fj/cooperations/animals-and-animal-p…

Edited: 25 March 2018, 15:35
Mentioned in this post
Fiji
Fiji
South Pacific
Reply to: taking food into Fiji
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted