We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Req advise on yaala bungalows

Which Yala National Park hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
51 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Req advise on yaala bungalows

Hi.. planning to visit Yalla in March or April. Please advise which bungalow (Heen Wewa, Mahaseelawa,Old Butuwa, Ondaatjee or Thalgasmankada)is best for game viewing and the quality of accommodation, facilities. I’m aware of the lottery system to make the reservation and advises are request to make the best

Thanks

Sanjaya

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
323 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Req advise on yaala bungalows

Sanjaya,

It has been a while since I stayed in any of the bungalows, but I did see the exterior of all of them during my last visit in December. It was not possible to see the interior as they were all occupied. I have got to say that there is a big difference in quality from the old style bungalows which were very much neglected. There were beds outside in the verandah with new mosquito nets, and I noticed a fresh paint job as well.

Our tracker told us that there is no refrigerator, and all perishables need to be packed in ice. Electricity is provided via solar power, which does not last too long into the night, and loses it's charge around 10:30 pm.

I believe all the bungalows were somewhat close to a water hole, and in the old days there used to be elephants coming very close to the bungalows, sometimes within a few feet from the outside sleepers. I do not know if any animals still come near the waterholes near the bungalows, due to human voices close by. On my last trip, I was surprised by the noise coming from some of the bungalows, which also inluded loud music.

Sorry, I cannot be of more help, and was hoping someone who had been there after the refurbishments could give us a report.

Robbie

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
51 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Req advise on yaala bungalows

Dear Robbie,

Thank you very much for your honest remarks. I booked “Mahaseelawa Bungalow” for weekend in March. You’re right, no refrigerators (except “Old Butuwa”) available in bungalow.

Main reason for me to check in to a bungalow is to do a early morning safari and sunset safari when other traffic are not available.

Yes, most people are staying in bungalows to have parties and not to explore the beauty of nature and wildlife.

I will post a note about bungalow once I visited.

Once again thanks for your remarks.

Sanjaya

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
2 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Req advise on yaala bungalows

Hi Sanjaya

Hope you have an awesome trip , its a pity about the refrigerator, but I am sure you will manage very well with an alternative!!. Try to leave as early as possible you will enjoy the drive better . Redeemer to take your camera .

Dont worry too much about mosquitoes and sleeping out may and may not be fun depending who you are with.

Have fun and take care

Honey

Edited: 20 February 2012, 19:01
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
2 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Req advise on yaala bungalows

Remember

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
323 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Req advise on yaala bungalows

Sanjaya,

Can you please explain the present bungalow booking procedure. I know that things have changed very much since I last went there to book one. Keep hearing some horror stories, including bribery, to get a good reservation.

I also remember them having kerosene fridges in the old bungalows. Is it a kerosene fridge at Mahaseelawa?

I am sure you will have a good time...starting your safari well before the "outsiders", and looking forward to a report!

Thanks.

Robbie

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
51 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Req advise on yaala bungalows

Dear Robbie,

There are only 06 bungalows available for reservation and very high demand for those. The Department of Wildlife is conducting a draw system on the first working day of the month to allocate bungalows for next month.

So most of the weekends will be booked by the first day, and unless you join the queue for the draw, most probably bungalows may be available only for few working days to book.

No e booking available and the procedure is someone has to go to the Department of Wildlife @ Jayanthipura, Battaramulla and do the payment and reservation… may be for a available day.

I visited Kruger National Park last December and made all reservations (room, safari) online and it’s sad to say that It is not easy even for a person staying in sri lanka to make a reservation in Yala.

I was informed the no refrigerators available in Mahaseelawa bungalow or any other except Old Butuwa which has a better solar power system.

Will be going on 9th Mar and staying the weekend looking forward to have a great time.

Driving up to the bungalow and got a Land rover for safari, Friday morning to Sunday afternoon for Rs. 15,000/=. Also asked tracker Wasantha to be ready for the weekend.

Will surely publish a comprehensive report on completion of the visit.

Sanjaya

7. Re: Req advise on yaala bungalows

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 May 2013, 19:20
Get answers to your questions about Yala National Park