We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ngapali Golf Course

Which Ngapali hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Darwin, Australia
Level Contributor
90 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Ngapali Golf Course

Hi all,

Can anyone tell me if the golf course here is operational? How far is it located from the beach and possibly what condition it is in.

Thank you

Amber

Warks.England
Destination Expert
for Myanmar, Yangon (Rangoon), Ngapali, Tossa de Mar
Level Contributor
14,034 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ngapali Golf Course

Not at the moment -it is under water!

Seriously though, it is open in the winter and is situated on the headland between the main Ngapali beach and the beach to the North (Amazing hotel and Thandwe airport). Early morning tee off avoids the heat.

It is quite fun and worth nine holes. The rough is OB for players,only for caddies(signs say "keep out-snakes")and you normally have a caddy and a ball spotter. Rules can be an eye opener. My ball landed in a greenside bunker,the caddy placed it on the green explaining in pidgin English-" German do that". I asked him not to do it for me so the next time he cleaned the ball and placed it on a nice mound in the bunker. The members board showed handicaps up to 48!

Most hotels have club hire and can arrange book off times-I paid $25 last time including transport. You may want to play in very old casuals as the fairways are cut paddy so can be damp underfoot.

St Andrews it isn't but still loads of fun

Darwin, Australia
Level Contributor
90 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ngapali Golf Course

Thanks for reply. It did bring a smile to my face. Sounds like an interesting experience.

Cheers Amber

California
Level Contributor
2 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ngapali Golf Course

Just played this course yesterday and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. Bring sunscreen and a sense of humor. Just show up and pay the locals at the ancient building they call a clubhouse $20 for a 9 hole greens fee and club rental. A caddie is 3000 kyat (approx $4) and buy a few balls. They lent me a glove too. No need for golf shoes.

The 3345y par 36 layout is thclosest thing to golf for 500 miles. A few locals live on and till the land on the 1st hole and there are oxen roaming on 5. If you run out of water, stop by the house by the 3rd green for a new bottle.

The fairways and greens aren't mowed to frequently but my caddie did a decent job of making sure I didn't lose too many balls. Local rules are hysterical. You won't be able to actually make contact if you play it few here it lies since the grass is so long, so the caddie would place each new shot on a small tuft of grass so you could actually see the ball.

If you're a golfer with a sense of humor itching for a few holes while in Ngapali, 2 hours here playing 9 holes is a lot of fun.

4. Re: Ngapali Golf Course

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 November 2013, 21:15
Get answers to your questions about Ngapali
Recent Conversations