We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yosemite to Death Valley

London
Level Contributor
1,458 posts
157 reviews
Save Topic
Yosemite to Death Valley

After 2 nights stay at the Yosemite national park we will be driving towards Death Valley and spend a night in Death Valley.

I understand the distance is about 300 miles going via Tioga Pass.

Now the question is; Is it possible to do this distance in one day and arrive at Death Valley in the evening?

We want to stop and see places along the way; I have been told that this route is really beautiful.

If this is not feasible in one day? Does any one know any hotel/motel half way between Yosemite and Death Valley? I noticed on the Google map that there are some towns “Bishop”, “Big Pines” Independence”; is there any hotel in any of those towns?

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park
Level Contributor
16,591 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Yosemite to Death Valley

I don't think I got into the topic of en route lodging on your other thread. Yes, there are places to stay in all of the towns shown on the map: Lee Vining, June Lakes, Tom's Place, Mammoth Lakes, Bishop, Big Pine, Independence, and Lone Pine.

Mammoth Lakes and Bishop are the major towns and will have the most services. Lone Pine also has a good variety; it's the closest of these towns to Death Valley.

Tom's Place and Big Pine seem to cater more to fishing or hiking enthusiasts; Big Pine is a very small town and Tom's Place is a resort near the highway, not a town. Independence is a small town with a few motels. There are restaurants at all these places. All (except, I think, Tom's Place) have gas stations.

London
Level Contributor
1,458 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Yosemite to Death Valley

Thanks for that information.

You seem to be very knowledgeable around that area.

One further question; may be I should be asking that in SF or LA forum.

As we will be travelling on the Hwy:1 between SF and LA and spend one night along the way; would you know the best place (half way) to look for a hotel? I noticed a place called “Munro Bay” is that a nice place? Or do you have any other recommendation…..

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park
Level Contributor
16,591 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Yosemite to Death Valley

The Eastern Sierra and Death Valley are among my favorite places. I spend a lot of time over there and like to see unusual or out-of-the-way things. In fact, I just got home today from another trip. Unfortunately, the air quality all over the state (and probably other states) is suffering from all the wildfires.

I think the town you want is Morro Bay (I don't think you mean Monterey). Morro Bay is a very nice ocean town and a good midway point. I don't claim to be an expert on it, but if you post on the Morro Bay, San Luis Obispo. and Cambria forums, you'll get local experts. Kibblesmom is especially helpful.

London, England
Level Contributor
105 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Yosemite to Death Valley

Hi, we are doing same journey in August. If you have not booked accom in Death Valley you will now have no hope. Next nearest is place called Pannamint Springs Resort which is also fully booked in July and August. We have booked in Lone Pine (nearest town outside park) at place called Dow Villa. Only seems available by ringing them direct (not online). Their link is

http://www.dowvillamotel.com/

Very reasonable rate $62+tax.

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
576 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Yosemite to Death Valley

yes its no problem doing the drive in 1 day

shame if their is no accom in DV itself - have you tried stovepipe wells? its only a motel but a fun place to stop

(when we crested the ridge of mountains that surround DV I decided to see how far I could go without touching the acelerator - when I reached Stovepipe Wells 16.4 miles later i had slowed to about 25mph, but just made it!

6. Re: Yosemite to Death Valley

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 October 2009, 20:17
Get answers to your questions about Yosemite National Park