We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Overnight stop needed between Las Vegas and Yosemite

Glasgow
Level Contributor
343 posts
81 reviews
Save Topic
Overnight stop needed between Las Vegas and Yosemite

More research required as I am looking for a nice place to stop off and spend the afternoon and evening on the way to Yosemite early May.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

San Diego...
Level Contributor
2,225 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Overnight stop needed between Las Vegas and Yosemite

It's about a 7 hour drive and I would drive all the way, stopping only for meals, gas and breaks...you are aware that Tioga pass (highway 120) will probably be closed, so you need to take highway 99, through Bakersfield and Fresno. You could stay overnight in either of those towns if you must stop overnight. Those towns are known for their Basque restaurants such as Wool Growers in Bakersfield (www.woolgrowers.net).

Glasgow
Level Contributor
343 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Overnight stop needed between Las Vegas and Yosemite

If it takes 7 hours I may drive all the way - would this road take us through death valley?

If we took the northern route would this take much longer?

San Diego...
Level Contributor
2,225 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Overnight stop needed between Las Vegas and Yosemite

No, going through Death Valley would be much longer (remember, Tioga Pass is probably closed due to snow until late May or June). My 7 hour routing is Highways 15/58/99/41, and it's probably a little over 7 hours to be fair.

Death Valley is slightly further to drive to Yosemite than Las Vegas, so you would have at least 2 hours from Las Vegas to Death Valley, then nearly 8 hours from Death Valley to Yosemite.

Also, I'd like to point out that Yosemite Valley is spactular to see, even if you just drive through it quickly, but in my opinion, Death Valley needs a little time to explore. Of course, you should explore Yosemite as well, but just being in Yosemite Valley is an unforgettable experience.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
2,225 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Overnight stop needed between Las Vegas and Yosemite

that's spectacular

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park
Level Contributor
16,582 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Overnight stop needed between Las Vegas and Yosemite

You could go through Death Valley, but you still could not go through Tioga Pass, which is typically closed by snow until around early June.

If you go through Death Valley, you'll still need to go through Ridgecrest to Bakersfield and Fresno. This will be over 600 miles. The best overnight choice along the way would be to stay in Death Valley, to sllow time to really enjoy the park and see more of it. This puts you over 400 miles from Yosemite for the next day; I don't know if you are used to that, but in California it is a fairly routine distance for a day.

By the northern route, do you mean to go all the way up 395? In winter, there is no likelihood of any trans-Sierra road being open until Lake Tahoe. You'd be going from Tahoe west to Placerville, then down Hwy 49 to the Sonora area, then turn east on Hwy 120 to Yosemite. The distance from Las Vegas on this route is nearly 700 miles. Since it is so long, it wouldn't be so practical to stay over in Death Valley; the approximate halfway point on this route is Lee Vining, where you can see Mono Lake.

Long Barn...
Level Contributor
4,717 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Overnight stop needed between Las Vegas and Yosemite

It usually takes me 7.5 hours for Las Vegas/Yosemite using the route fromdelmar mentioned. I made it once in 6.5 hours, but that was a new sports car (way too fast) and no stops. If you want to see Death Valley and go the eastern/northern route, you really need to allow another day of your holiday. If you decide to do this, use Hwy 88 to Hwy 49 and south into Yosemite.

Glasgow
Level Contributor
343 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Overnight stop needed between Las Vegas and Yosemite

Decision made - we are going to leave Las Vegas early and drive directly to Yosemite via the quickest route there. 7 hours shouldn't be too much and on a highway should speed things up.

What is the quickest route there and forever the detail will be posted on TripAdvisor for all to see?

Thanks for all your replys.

Oh and by the way - if the pass was open how long would it normally take?

Boston...
Level Contributor
92 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Overnight stop needed between Las Vegas and Yosemite

WE are also driving from Las Vegas to Yosemite. We will be making this trip in late April. I had also thought that we should stop and stay somewhere. Now that I am reading here that you should drive straight through, I am thinking about doing just that.

Is 7 hours a fair estimate for travel time. (exluding stops, of course.) Do Bakersfields and Fresno have rush hour times that we may want to avoid?? Would it be a good idea to leave Vegas early, like around 6 or 7 am?

I'd appreciate any thoughts on this.

Thanks.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
4,673 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Overnight stop needed between Las Vegas and Yosemite

I would choose Mammoth or June Lakes for an evening.

Please visit the DRIVING DIRECTIONS page geocities.com/touringsfo/…DriveDir.html where most of your questions are answered. It's augmented by the linked report "A Trip to Las Vegas…" that includes point-to-point distances and times.

Saint Germain...
Level Contributor
2,513 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Overnight stop needed between Las Vegas and Yosemite

For April travel Tioga Pass will still be closed making June Lake and Mammoth, not very viable stops. Good choices otherwise.

The loop around the south lacks much by way of scenery until you are in the death valley area. Perhaps try to stay over there.

Have a great trip.