We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San Francisco to Yosemite to Monterey OR

Providence, RI
Level Contributor
427 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
San Francisco to Yosemite to Monterey OR

Should we go from San Francisco to Monterey to Yosemite(staying in Curry Village) OR San Francisco to Yosemite to Monterey to SFO. HELP. I'm not sure which is best. I hope to spend 3 days in San Francisco, 2-3 in Yosemite and one in Monterey.

Mariposa, California
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
2,675 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: San Francisco to Yosemite to Monterey OR

What time of year are you traveling? Though it's best to avoid both Monterey and Yosemite on the weekends, I would recommend REALLY avoiding Yosemite on the weekends if you can. It just makes for a more pleasant experience with less crowds. Especially if you're traveling between June and August. If not during those months, than avoiding weekends isn't quite as much as a concern.

Also, the drive between Monterey and San Francisco along the coast can be nice (or part way along the coast). It is a windy road and will take you more time, but great views, a few small towns to stop in along the way. It might be nice to give yourself enough time to enjoy the scenery on the drive between Monterey and San Francisco. I guess from my perspective that would mean San Francisco to Monterey and then to Yosemite.

Enjoy your trip. You'll be visiting my two most favorite places.

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
974 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: San Francisco to Yosemite to Monterey OR

Looks like your taking the same trip we are planning.

We are flying into San Francisco for 3 nights.

Leave SF to take the scenic route to Monterey for

2 nights, onto Yosemite for 2 nights, then back to

San Francisco to stay last night by the airport for

an early morning flight back home.

Providence, RI
Level Contributor
427 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: San Francisco to Yosemite to Monterey OR

Right now my reservations are for midweek in June, hoping to avoid the crowds. How long does it take to drive from Monterey to Yosemite?

Mariposa, California
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,675 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: San Francisco to Yosemite to Monterey OR

It's probably about 4 hours give or take, for you to drive from Monterey to the central part of Yosemite Valley.

June is a great time to go! Enjoy the waterfalls, and maybe the high country roads will be open (Tioga Road).

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
4,673 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: San Francisco to Yosemite to Monterey OR

Any time you take a waterside trip you should do so on the water side. Please visit the page of DRIVING DIRECTIONS at the TouringSFO site at http://geocities.com/touringsfo/ and read the reports on "A Trip to Anaheim…" and "A Trip to Las Vegas…"

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: San Francisco to Yosemite to Monterey OR

We have been on this subject before but I would drive a scenic road from south to north with the sun in the back (In the northern hemisphere of course) so San Francisco-Yosemite-Monterey-Santa Cruz-San Francisco.

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,970 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: San Francisco to Yosemite to Monterey OR

This must be a popular trip. In June we’re going to Yosemite for three nights followed by Monterey for three nights. I decided on Yosemite first since we plan to hit the trails; I thought it would be nice to relax at the ocean after all that hiking.

Burton On Trent
Level Contributor
40 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: San Francisco to Yosemite to Monterey OR

Also booked a similar trip, we are going SF to Yosemite to Monterey to SF, the main reason is that I thought it would be an easier journey to make from Monterey direct to SF airport on the last day to catch a flight, thought Yosemite might be a bit long. We're spending 5 nights in SF, 2 in Yosemite and 2 in Monterey (just to give us time for a drive down the Big Sur and back) We go 25 June and are due to drive back from Monterey to SF airport on 4 July - is this likely to present any problems on the road on independence day?

Oakland, California
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,327 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: San Francisco to Yosemite to Monterey OR

At some point over the July 4th holidays, a huge "convention" of Harley owners descends on Gilroy for an annual ride. I don't know all the details, but I do know I was stuck in some horrible traffic once on 152 out of Gilroy because of it. So, for your route back to SFO from Monterey, I would consider taking Hwy 1 to 17 instead. Of course, Hwy 1 gets backed up around Santa Cruz, so you may want to check in with someone from the Monterey or Santa Cruz forums to see which would be a better bet. I will say that the Hwy 1 to 17 route is more scenic!

Burton On Trent
Level Contributor
40 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: San Francisco to Yosemite to Monterey OR

Thanks for that advice, really appreciate it.

Get answers to your questions about Yosemite National Park