We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Places to visit in Yosemite from oakhurst

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,145 posts
53 reviews
Places to visit in Yosemite from oakhurst

I ended up booking a place in oakhurst as it was not too far from the bass lake -which I wanted to do as part of my trip

I have been avoiding going to Yosemite for a long time now becuase of the winding roads and my motion sickness problem. Since I would be close to the South entrance, I think I will do it this time.

I will be in oakhurst for 3 nights - so day1 plan to go to bass lake. Day2 and day3 I could do Yosemite - am looking for ideas of what I can do in Yosemite on Friday Aug31 and Sep1 -with maybe a stomach for an hr and half of winding roads :)

15 replies to this topic
Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
70,634 posts
123 reviews
1. Re: Places to visit in Yosemite from oakhurst

Hi

You have chosen a lodging that is about 90 minutes of winding road driving to Glacier Point. Or you can drive 90 minutes on winding roads to Yosemite Valley.

Is this what you want?

The Top Questions on the right has info about what to do in each of those areas. If you're also including Mariposa Grove, read about Giant Sequoias.

Top Q are visible on the full TripAdvisor website.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,145 posts
53 reviews
2. Re: Places to visit in Yosemite from oakhurst

Thank you for your response PacificNWFamily. Yes I would like to do the Mariposa grove.

I think I was not clear in my query - I was looking to see which part of the valley I could cover with the least winding road.

I chose oakhurst as it was closer to bass lake and the yosemite valley. But I see now that the road from south entrance to the valley may be closed . Which means I may change my accomodation to mariposa.

Edited: 14 August 2018, 05:46
So Cal
Level Contributor
11,775 posts
75 reviews
3. Re: Places to visit in Yosemite from oakhurst

The road in Yosemite valley itself is relative straight (and you'd want to park and take the free park shuttle or your feet anyway). It's the roads getting to the park and valley that will be your problem.

Atlanta area
Level Contributor
880 posts
21 reviews
4. Re: Places to visit in Yosemite from oakhurst

Oakhurst is near Mariposa Grove, but it is not near Yosemite Valley, even with all roads open.

Washington State
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
70,634 posts
123 reviews
5. Re: Places to visit in Yosemite from oakhurst

Hi

Yes, the road from Mariposa to Yosemite Valley is less winding than the road from Oakhurst to Yosemite Valley.

Visiting soon? Any way you can stay *in* Yosemite Valley?

"which part of the valley I could cover with the least winding road."

Yosemite Valley is only 7 square miles. And the parts that many folks enjoy are in an even smaller area. Look at a map of the Valley. Read about the options of things to do. What things appeal to you?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,145 posts
53 reviews
6. Re: Places to visit in Yosemite from oakhurst

thank you for your responses. JenAzz and PacificNWFamily.

Places inside the valley seem to be above my budget so am sticking to Mariposa or Oakhurst.

Good to know it is flat inside the valley. Have decided to do the mirror lake loop hike and the Mariposa Grove.

Glacier point looks lovely but it would mean another 30miles of winding roads so would keep that for another trip.

Should I expect to take double the time to reach the valley from Mariposa- on Friday Aug31-being a long weekend?

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
13,586 posts
120 reviews
7. Re: Places to visit in Yosemite from oakhurst

Mariposa to Yosemite Valley is not winding, much. There's one stretch of maybe 15-20 minutes near Midpines that has a few curves, but otherwise it's fairly straight (but it does go up at Midpines to a higher altitude, and then back down..hence the curves).

The drive from Mariposa to Yosemite has some pretty spectacular parts to it. Have you contacted Cedar Lodge or Yosemite View Lodge? They had lots of cancellations. Cedar Lodge is cheaper (there will be visible fire damage near it, but not in front of it). Otherwise, Mariposa is great (when we want to just run up to Yosemite on the spur of the moment, that's where we stay).

So much to see in Yosemite Valley, almost any walk on any trail is filled with marvelous views. The Mist Trail is the one place to be sure of seeing waterfalls right now. Bridalveil will have the mist that gives the name. The various meadows will be drying to a golden color, climbers will be back on El Cap, lots to see. Don't skip the Ahwahnee/Majestic - it's a classic building and so relaxing to be there.

Sandwiches/snacks are best purchased at the grocery near the visitor center. The Ansel Adams gallery is worth a visit as well, IMO. And of course, the Visitor Center has great interpretive exhibits. There are ranger programs in that area every day as well.

We really like the Nature Center at Happy Isles (the enormous boulders behind it have some signs to guide you - inviting you to look up at Glacier Point and imagine what it's like to have big chunks of rock come down). The Center focuses on art and nature, and has great exhibits.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,145 posts
53 reviews
8. Re: Places to visit in Yosemite from oakhurst

Thank you so much LeBiscuit D. very useful details.

Will check out the majestic.

Mist trail looks lovely so I will have to choose between the mist or mirror lake trail.

Washington State
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
70,634 posts
123 reviews
9. Re: Places to visit in Yosemite from oakhurst

The Mist Trail is the most popular. It's paved up to the footbridge and has some definite elevation gain. If you're going to the top of Vernal Fall, that's even more elevation gain. The Merced River has lower flow in late August, but there will still be enough to make a waterfall.

Mirror (lake)Meadow is an old road for the first part. It's fairly level. Note that it is never a lake; in spring, the wide spot on Tenaya Creek is somewhat lake-like. This trail offers a great from-the-bottom-looking-up view of Half Dome.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,145 posts
53 reviews
10. Re: Places to visit in Yosemite from oakhurst

PacificNWFamily, if I choose this trail will go till Vernall fall. Thank you for the tips.

Reply to: Places to visit in Yosemite from oakhurst
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted