We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yosemite west and wawona road

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Topic
Yosemite west and wawona road

I was so excited that park will reopen on August 14. However we are scheduled to stay in Yosemite west August 18-21. I also see that wawona road will remain closed. Is this the only road to get to our cottage so can I assume we would not be allowed to get to Yosemite west?

19 replies to this topic
Mariposa, California
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
2,676 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Yosemite west and wawona road

Soooo you're visit is right on the edge of when Wawona Road might reopen but it's a big might right now. Reports in media have been Wawona Road will remain closed for at least another week.

You're right, that is the only way to reach Yosemite West, unfortunately.

3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Yosemite west and wawona road

August 12, 2018 - The Mariposa County Sheriff's Office reports the Fire Advisement for Yosemite West has been lifted.

mariposa county sheriff logoYosemite West is now open for residents, employees and contractors needing to clean/ repair homes and businesses.

Monday August 13, 2018 at 6:00 am Yosemite West will open to renters with reservations inside Yosemite West. Wawona Rd North of Wawona as well as Glacier Point Rd will remain closed to general Yosemite National Park visitors.

9 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Yosemite west and wawona road

I spoke with someone in reservations at Yosemite West today. He confirmed it would reopen on Monday. I asked about the smoke smell inside the condos. He said they have a crew there today cleaning all the condos, even washing walls if necessary, so that was good to hear. Of course there will still be a smoke smell, just not sure how much. We have reservations the same time as you so I was very happy to get this news!

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Yosemite west and wawona road

Thanks for the updates! So to clarify renters will be allowed in to Yosemite west beginning tomorrow? Our rental reservation begins on Saturday the 18th. So if I am reading correctly will the road north from Yosemite west to the valley be open allowing for the normal commute ?

9 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Yosemite west and wawona road

I assume that is what he meant, that that road will be available for use, although I’m not familiar with the roads so I don’t know. I guess we will see when we arrive! I got the impression you were only allowed on the road if you lived there, had reservations, or were cleaning crews. He said there was talk about reopening the whole road by the end of the week, but nothing definite on that.

Edited: 13 August 2018, 13:16
Bristol, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Yosemite west and wawona road

In the email I received from scenic wonders, it stated that the northern part of the road was still closed and there will be a 2 hour detour from Yosemite west into the valley. For us, this defeats the purpose of staying close to the park, and we are trying to think the best thing to do now (we stay there from the 16th).

Edited: 14 August 2018, 00:28
9 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Yosemite west and wawona road

Thanks for the information - that won't work for us either!!

3 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Yosemite west and wawona road

Is Scenic Wonders giving refunds for this inconvenience? We cancelled and got 75% back. I'm wondering what my chances of getting the 25% will be. It's a terrible situation for everyone!

Edited: 14 August 2018, 23:48
Michigan
Level Contributor
4 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Yosemite west and wawona road

I found a number for road information today. The gentleman told me they really had no idea how long Wawona Road would be closed north of Yosemite West. He said there was a lot to be done before it could reopen, but also said they were working really hard to get it opened because of the impact it has had on residents and the local economy. He also told me that Wawona Road was only open to residents and not to people with reservations. This is opposite of what Scenic Wonders told me last Sunday, so I don’t know who is correct. (When they told me the road would be opened I didn’t ask any more questions about our reservations.) I have tried to call Scenic Wonders numerous times today and it always goes to voicemail with no one returning my call, so I don’t even know what is happening with our reservation, if we can get in, if we would get a refund, etc. We are scheduled to be there the 20th. If anyone has any information on the road opening or if you have gotten in to your rental, I’d love to hear from you. Thanks.

Mariposa, California
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
2,676 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Yosemite west and wawona road

They just sent out an alert either yesterday or the day before that you could get to h was open to guests. It's a pretty recent change (getting sheriff updates by text including evacuations and lifting of evacuations) though and so many things up here are changing fast... It's hard to say. Which number did you call?

Here's the mariposa sheriff alert regarding who can get into Yosemite west. But note... Still not north of Yosemite west for anyone.

https://local.nixle.com/alert/6741222/

Reply to: Yosemite west and wawona road
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted