We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Going to Yosemite Valley 8/23-8/25 - should I cancel?

New York City, New...
3 posts
Save Topic
Going to Yosemite Valley 8/23-8/25 - should I cancel?

I wanted to see the main sights in the valley floor, and do some hiking along the rim, but I understand that the fire will likely still be burning then. I don't want all the vistas ruined by smoke. How likely is it that the visibility will be back to normal? Should I cancel?

17 replies to this topic
Indiana
Level Contributor
1,570 posts
559 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Going to Yosemite Valley 8/23-8/25 - should I cancel?

That's still 3+ weeks away, so nobody knows. You can either cancel and make other plans so you don't have to worry about it or you can wait until about a week out and see what the situation is. It depends on how badly you want to see Yosemite this year. There will probably still be the smell in the air when you're in the Valley.

You will be able to stop on the way up to Glacier Point and look out west from one of the pull-offs and see what the fire has done.

It may be a good summer to visit Glacier NP, Yellowstone NP or the Pacific Northwest National Parks.

Edited: 01 August 2018, 23:56
Minneapolis, MN
Level Contributor
56 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Going to Yosemite Valley 8/23-8/25 - should I cancel?

I'm in the same boat - going the 27th and 28th. I've made reservations for a Plan B that can be cancelled and will make a decision on going or not a week before. It's just too soon to know what to expect at this point.

Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Going to Yosemite Valley 8/23-8/25 - should I cancel?

We are in a similar position but are due to be there in 2 weeks, can I ask what your plan B is? We are very unsure due to being from he UK and not really knowing the alternatives? Thanks.

Sebring, Florida
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Going to Yosemite Valley 8/23-8/25 - should I cancel?

My family and I will be going Sept 20-23. Unfortunately we rented a home in the area known as Yosemite West. It appears the fire is only 1/3 mile from the home we rented. We still have time to cancel our home before they take the next half of the rental. I know its 6 weeks away but I wonder if you could see the burn from the home. Will it smell like smoke? We are in a dilemma as is everyone.

Edited: 02 August 2018, 01:53
Minneapolis, MN
Level Contributor
56 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Going to Yosemite Valley 8/23-8/25 - should I cancel?

Hi. We'll be coming from SF and had planned on driving right to Yosemite Valley for two nights, and then on to Lee Vining, Lone Pine and Death Valley. Plan B is to go to Sonora for 1 night, cancel Lee Vining and spend 2 nights in Bridgeport and then move on to Lone Pine. This way we could take either 108 or 120 over the Sierra. Sonora to Bridgeport isn't that long of a drive. I'm figuring that if it's smoky, we could still drive Tioga Road and swing through the Valley and see the sights - just won't stay there.

Minneapolis, MN
Level Contributor
56 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Going to Yosemite Valley 8/23-8/25 - should I cancel?

Nicola, in case you didn't know, Sonora is in the Gold Country area and there are sights to see there from the Gold Rush period. That was why I picked it. Bridgeport has a ghost town nearby and I felt was a better choice than Lee Vining for a two night stay.

B B
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Going to Yosemite Valley 8/23-8/25 - should I cancel?

Same boat, last week of August for us. Two spots for the yearly family trip. Now everyone is stressing out.

Mariposa, California
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
2,676 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Going to Yosemite Valley 8/23-8/25 - should I cancel?

Bluetraveler if you have the flexibility to wait a week to see what happens I would. But I know that's not always possible. This is extremely unusual as far as how long the air quality is staying rough. That being said this evening we're seeing a bit of improvement in air quality. It's still unhealthy which isn't great but far better than the hazardous and very unhealthy. The weather patterns are also shifting... And containment keeps creeping up (though slowly). Or at least wait until Monday if you can and see what happens but... Ideally I'd say give it a week. I'm sorry this is happening with your vacation... I know it's super stressful.

Florida girl even if you can see the burn, your location is so good for accessing glacier point and Yosemite valley. When's your deadline? We won't know fully what the fire line will be like since it's still active. If they can get in contained in that area soon then you may be just fine by the time end of Sept rolls around as far as smoke. Sorry this is impacting your plans. It's super stressful. Glacier point and the valley though are not impacted by the actual fire which means your views there will be still be great. Good luck with your decision.

London, United...
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Going to Yosemite Valley 8/23-8/25 - should I cancel?

Hi There. We are a large family group from Denmark spending a lifetime vacation in California. our plan is/was to stay overnight at Yosemite View Lodge 15-16/8. Still two weeks away but reading comments here as well as following updates on CalFire and Caltrans it seems that Hwy 140 will remain closed for quite a while - including the stretch where Yosemite View Lodge lies. Guess we'd better make alternative plans and skip Yosemite visit. ANy views/comments?

3 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Going to Yosemite Valley 8/23-8/25 - should I cancel?

I am in the same boat. We are flying into Sacramento and staying in Yosemite West the 26th-30th and in the Valley on the 30th and 1st. We are traveling with our 1 year old. I am concerned about the air quality for him. The condo is offering a 25% cancelation fee. Can you even access Yosemite West right now?

Reply to: Going to Yosemite Valley 8/23-8/25 - should I cancel?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted