We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Cedar Lodge still closed

ireland
Level Contributor
97 posts
31 reviews
Is Cedar Lodge still closed

We are travelling from SF to El Portal on Sunday 22 with 3 kids for 2 nights and plan then was Monteray (2) Pismo , LA, Dana Pt. I have checked our booking and we can’t cancel after 15th

I have checked the threads and cannot see if it is reopening. This is s huge road trip for us and like others wondering if we should be booking elsewhere which is hugely disappointing

9 replies to this topic
Santa Ana, CA
Level Contributor
3,416 posts
15 reviews
1. Re: Is Cedar Lodge still closed

News from one hour ago:

kcra.com/article/…22337972

Shows mandatory evacuation at Cedar Lodge plus road closure. Elsewhere in the news is mass cancellations at motels in the town of Mariposa.

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
14,914 posts
121 reviews
2. Re: Is Cedar Lodge still closed

They are still cleaning up the area around the Lodge - and there is fire throughout the region (which is why the road will remain closed). The section of El Portal between Cedar and Yosemite View has mandatory evacuation and there is active fire in that area.

I am so sorry you're facing this. I would probably try to move reservations to Groveland or Oakhurst (I know, I know - not optimal). If Yosemite View has openings, I'd enter the park from the North Entrance and stay there (I'm sure lots of people have cancelled). The reason I say this is that the area immediately adjacent to El Portal should be burned by then, and the front of the fire will be more on the edges of it. As long as they are actively fighting fire in the area, I fear they will keep the road closed (fixing the damaged sections from rockfall in the fire will not be a priority with all that other equipment up there - but if it's not bad, they'll do it very soon).

Keep checking here, we're all reading as much local news as possible. It's so hard to know what to advise.

ireland
Level Contributor
97 posts
31 reviews
3. Re: Is Cedar Lodge still closed

Appreciate the replies. We fly out for the States in the morning so just wondering if we should avoid Yosemite ( I have it booked since Nov) is there anywhere between SF and Monteray we should go?

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
49 posts
1 review
4. Re: Is Cedar Lodge still closed

You could go south of Monterey to Big Sur, we are doing that (hopefully in addition to portions of Yosemite) in a couple of weeks.

Santa Ana, CA
Level Contributor
3,416 posts
15 reviews
5. Re: Is Cedar Lodge still closed

I saw in the news last night about heavy smoke in Yosemite valley; even though it is open to the public.

Sequoia National park is a possible alternative for you.

6. Re: Is Cedar Lodge still closed

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 19 July 2018, 07:22

Santa Ana, CA
Level Contributor
3,416 posts
15 reviews
7. Re: Is Cedar Lodge still closed

Here is an active Facebook page that may help you:

www.facebook.com/YosemiteFire

santa cruz
Level Contributor
3,507 posts
49 reviews
8. Re: Is Cedar Lodge still closed

We are arriving Sunday as well. There is plenty of availability in the Valley due to cancellations if you still want to visit.

We’re going for it. If it’s unbearable we can always cut it short and lose some money. I figure at least the park won’t be as crazy crowded.

Santa Cruz is between San Francisco and Monterey.

Btw if you don’t want visit Yosemite due to the fire Big Sur is a good alternative. Highway 1 is open! Lodging will be scarce in Big Sur though.

Edited: 19 July 2018, 08:00
Ghent, Belgium
1 post
9. Re: Is Cedar Lodge still closed

Has there been any update on the status of accommodation surrounding El Portal such as Cedar Lodge?

I was wondering how the area survived the fire + the accomodation and if it will return to normal by first week of September when we would visit. Looking for accomodation to visit on 5 to 7th of September.

Regards, Kenneth

Reply to: Is Cedar Lodge still closed
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted