We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Route??

Level Contributor
28 posts
Best Route??

Hello. Planning a trip to Yosemite in July and I have two "best route" questions.

#1. We are driving from San Francisco on a Sunday, leaving very early that morning, around 6:00am. I plan to come up through the South Entrance because we want to stop at Mariposa Grove first, then possibly Wawona, and then onto our rental in Yosemite West. (We do not plan to go into the Valley that day). What would be our best route?

#2. When we leave Yosemite (on a Friday), we plan to go from our rental in Yosemite West to Donner Memorial Park, up in North Lake Tahoe. What would be the best route for that?

Thank you so much.

4 replies to this topic
Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
71,148 posts
123 reviews
1. Re: Best Route??

Hi

1) You have described the best route. SF - South Entrance (park there for Mariposa Grove) - Wawona - Yosemite West. I'd stop in Oakhurst to shop for groceries. https://goo.gl/maps/uEXmzKVqAP72 You might want to drive up to Glacier Point for sunset. It's about 35-40 minutes.

2) Enjoy Tioga Road & Tuolumne Meadows, then exit via the Tioga Pass Entrance.

The Top Questions on the right includes maps, trip reports, and ideas about what to do in each area of the Park.

Level Contributor
28 posts
2. Re: Best Route??

Thank you. I plan to do exactly as you described in #1 (stopping at Von's in Oakhurst for groceries/gas.

Will Glacier Point be unusually crowded at Sunset? I'm concerned about parking.

Oh, I forgot to mention, regarding #2, that we plan a day at Tuolumne Meadows/Tiago Road during the middle of the week, a day after our Half Dome hike, so as to give our legs a bit of a rest. Otherwise, I would take that way for sure. So, would that still be the best way to go, keeping in mind that we will have already been there a few days before? Or is there a faster way to Donner?

Thanks so much for your help.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
71,148 posts
123 reviews
3. Re: Best Route??

Hi

Try Google maps to compare drive times. Change the travel date to July. (Those are destinations outside of Yosemite, so I don't know. I just know lots about Yosemite.) You get to choose the route that is 'better' for you. I like the Yosemite route.

Yes, Glacier Point will have lots of people all day long. I'd guess that the small parking lot will fill weekday mornings around 11 am and will constantly be refilled all day long. But at the end of the day, there are probably fewer people than mid-day.

Sentinel Dome is also good for sunset, but with fewer people. The Sentinel Dome shortcut hike might be a good idea.

Level Contributor
28 posts
4. Re: Best Route??

Okay. Will do. Thank you for your help. :)

Reply to: Best Route??
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted