We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

My Non-Planning Husband wants to go to Yosemite

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
22,158 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
My Non-Planning Husband wants to go to Yosemite

And the only time we can get away from our small business is around July 4th! Akkkk, he does not know the difficulty of this! We will be tent camping most of the time, possibly KOA cabins or a motel along the way, especially in the desert.

We have been to Yosemite before and know how much driving this plan is. But my husband never asks to go anywhere and this is his request. I'm a teacher so summer is the only time we can get away!

Here is what I have so far, any input on the RV Park/Campgrounds would be appreciated. I am looking multiple times a day for campsites inside Yosemite!

June 28-29 - Day 1 & 2 - Santa Fe to near Sequoia/Kings Canyon NP

June 30 - Lemon Cove Village RV Park near Sequoia. Will arrive late and leave early

July 1 - Sunset Campground Kings Canyon.

July 2 - Indian Flat RV/CG near El Portal

July 3 - Hodgdon Meadow CG reservation, the only one I can get so far!!!

July 4 - Mono Lake RV Park in Lee Vining. Reserved.

July 5+ Back toward home with some stops at Manzanar, Lone Pine etc.

23 replies to this topic
Extreme Northern...
Level Contributor
506 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: My Non-Planning Husband wants to go to Yosemite

This really doesn't give you any time in Yosemite. How about flying in to give yourselves more time? Definitely look at the Yosemite booking webpage for cancellations. I have had luck getting reservations in Yosemite valley as others cancel, but they don't usually open up until a week or two prior to travel.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
22,158 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: My Non-Planning Husband wants to go to Yosemite

Can't fly but good idea. We have been to Yosemite before and have a few things we want to see again. W are trying to get campsites. I live on the recreation.gov website!

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
69,344 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: My Non-Planning Husband wants to go to Yosemite

Currently Tuolumne Meadows Campground is listed as opening later in July. When the NPS determines that some of the campground will be suitable for camping earlier in the season, those campsites will be released. So living on the Recreation.gov website is indeed a fabulous plan.

I don't know if this will be announced or will just happen. The Yosemite Facebook page often has updates.

LA
Level Contributor
11,473 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: My Non-Planning Husband wants to go to Yosemite

I'd be tempted to skip SEKI and spend more time approaching Yosemite from the east- spending a couple of nights in Mammoth or June Lakes, then entering Yosemite a day earlier, maybe camping up along Ellery Lake, Lee Vining Canyon, or Tioga Lakes. Check out the Mono county recreation.gov site for places.

Unfortunately, that is just guaranteed to be the busiest week of the year with the July 4th holiday. Congrats on getting a place at the Mono Lake RV Park. That should be a sweet place on 4th of July.

Long Beach...
Level Contributor
7,219 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: My Non-Planning Husband wants to go to Yosemite

Lemon Cove will be really hot in summer, is it too far to stay at Sunset for 2 nights? You'll save time with not have to set up camp as often.

Mono Lake-- are there any Campgrounds available in June Lakes Area? (Tuolumne Meadows would be a great option too.). But Pareo says it is a good option, so maybe stick with it.

The NPS website has been really good at updating Yosemite Campground releases. You can even sign up for updates. Look for Crane Flat as well as Tuolumne Meadows.

https:/…campgrounds.htm

Edited: 15 May 2018, 01:08
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
22,158 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: My Non-Planning Husband wants to go to Yosemite

All good ideas. Our last visit we started on east side so we want to start with west side. If I could get different campground date inside Yosemite, then we could move the visit a week. Right now nothing!

Baltimore...
Level Contributor
241 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: My Non-Planning Husband wants to go to Yosemite

I know this is the Yosemite Forum, but I really would not tent camp in Lemon Grove, Ca in July! Way too hot! Is it possible to get reservations in Kings Canyon itself near end of the road? When we were there last, the campground there was not full and we really enjoyed Cedar Grove (we stayed in the lodge).

Is there a way to find out if more valley campsites will be released? Last year they released more campsites as the threat of flooding lifted. While it is expensive, I would watch for cancellations in the tent cabins or housekeeping sites on the Aramark site...for one night this would really give you a chance to experience the valley early or late with fewer crowds.

I think you can shuffle some of your reservations and have a great trip in the Sierra's, but if you want to experience Yosemite Valley I think it is going to be challenging without one night closer.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
22,158 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: My Non-Planning Husband wants to go to Yosemite

Ok so a big NO to Lemon Grove. I'm checking often for both campsites and lodging in Yosemite. Nothing quite what we need/want. May need to bump it a week or so when more campgrounds, especially the first come first serve ones! Thanks for all the support.

Long Beach...
Level Contributor
7,219 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: My Non-Planning Husband wants to go to Yosemite

I really think Crane Flat will open early, sign up for the 'Campground update emails'.

https:/…campgrounds.htm

Edited: 15 May 2018, 06:49
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
22,158 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: My Non-Planning Husband wants to go to Yosemite

Well I just got home, signed into recreation.gov and there were 4 nights at North Pines CG for July 4-10!! Wow, what a score. YEAH! Now need to replan the to and from part.

Reply to: My Non-Planning Husband wants to go to Yosemite
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted