We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Leaving campground for backpacking overnighter

Downingtown...
10 posts
Save Topic
Leaving campground for backpacking overnighter

Bf and I have campground at Wawona Sunday June 3 to Thurs June 7. We have now decided to do an overnight backpacking trip on the pohono trail Monday June 4 - Tuesday June 5 (wilderness permits are secured). We are traveling from East Coast and were planning on only bringing 1 tent- the same one we use for backpacking will be the one we have at the campground. And we will obviously be driving to the trailhead. So my question is, is it okay to pretty much vacate our campsite (except for stuff in food locker probably) for those 2 days/1 night even though we have it reserved? Will someone try to take our site? Will park staff think we are gone? Should we bring another tent just to hold its place to make it seem like it’s not empty? Any advice/suggestions appreciated.

1 reply
Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
69,345 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Leaving campground for backpacking overnighter

I don't know about leaving your campsite for more than 24 hours. Maybe call the NPS campground ranger during the week. 209-372-8502 Or maybe someone here on the forum knows.

I will say the Pohono Trail is in the midst of the front country and not much of a wilderness experience. If you want suggestions for other overnight options, let us know.

Reply to: Leaving campground for backpacking overnighter
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted