We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What can we do at 3-4p.m.? Need advice...

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
What can we do at 3-4p.m.? Need advice...

We will be at Yosemite on May 22nd around 3p.m. until May 23rd around 6p.m.

I estimate we will arrive Yosemite Valley Lodge around 3p.m. on the 23rd, what would you suggest we have time to take in for a couple hours? I was thinking it would be nice for the kids to swim in the pool - is it even warm enough to do that in late May?

I was thinking the lower falls trail - which looks fairly close or a cruise around one of the loops either with YARTS or our own vehicle. Or some unique vistas at sunset?

* which drive do you recommend in 2 hours or so? Should we drive around for neat views? If so, should we drive or should we take YARTS (if it's still runing then)

* Lower falls trail? Is this do-able in 2 hours or so.

* Other ideas?

* Although I know we likely could see a bear, I don't particularly want to run into one so if doing some of this at this time of day increases our chances because of low crowds or whatever, would like to know that!

* Any suggestions the next day? We can stick around until 5 or 6p.m. and will get an early start at 7 or 8a.m.

4 replies to this topic
Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Lodi
Level Contributor
2,318 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What can we do at 3-4p.m.? Need advice...

Hello Laura,

Which Hwy will you be entering from? There are places to stop with views at each location.

Once you park your car I’d leave it and not attempt to drive around the valley, just use the free shuttle busses. You can then take a look at the non shuttle accessible locations on your way out of the valley.

LA
Level Contributor
11,478 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: What can we do at 3-4p.m.? Need advice...

The lower Yosemite Falls trail would be a good idea. The crowds should be remarkably thinned by then and you can keep walking on to the Ansel Adams Gallery and the other buildings in the Yosemite Village area. Far fewer people there then than in midday.

I saw a beautiful large cinnamon-colored bear close up along that trail in November, but in May, the bears are more likely higher up.

Edited: 14 May 2018, 00:54
Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
69,963 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What can we do at 3-4p.m.? Need advice...

Hi

YARTS is a fee bus into and out of the Valley. It is not the free transportation *in* the Valley. That's the Yosemite Valley Shuttle.

The Top Questions on the right has many ideas to help you as well as maps & trip reports. Top Q are visible on the full TA website, not the app

Lower Yosemite Fall trail is wheelchair accessible and under a mile.

Glacier Point & Sentinel Dome might be "worth" some of your time. Maybe drive directly up there with your picnic dinner on Tuesday, then an hour down to the Valley. On Wednesday, shuttle over to Happy Isles and hike some of the Mist Trail. Or rent bikes. Or just do low-key Lower Yosemite Falls and a meadow trail.

LA
Level Contributor
11,478 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: What can we do at 3-4p.m.? Need advice...

I like to get out and stretch my legs and revel in the fact that I'[m really IN Yosemite. There are lots of great walks you can take from YVL and get some exercise, some fresh air, and get oriented. You can walk along past the Yosemite Village to Cook's Meadow for that terrific view of Half Dome. Continue on and walk on to Mirror Lak, past the lovely creek. In the late afternoon and evening, there will be fewer people. Walk back, or take one of the shuttles back so you can get an idea of the layout

Reply to: What can we do at 3-4p.m.? Need advice...
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted