We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

July Family 2-day Itinerary - Need Feedback

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Topic
July Family 2-day Itinerary - Need Feedback

I've tried to create itinerary from all of the helpful examples but would appreciate feedback on it. Family of 4 with kids ages 9 & 7, they can walk a couple miles but nothing too adventurous. We are staying a weekend (2 nights) in July. I know it will be busy but that was the only time open.

Friday - 7am leave Oakhurst drive to South Entrance

Drive to Mariposa Grove 2 mi walk

Drive to Wawona VC - Junior Ranger Packets

Drive to Glacier Point then backtrack to Sentinel Dome trail (2 mi hike)

Drive to Tunnel View enroute to Yosemite Valley

Dinner recommendations?

Saturday - Walk to Visitor Center - junior ranger program?

Walk/Hike Lower Yosemite Falls

Shuttle to Vernal Fall?

Fishing? Not sure if we can rent equipment?

Stargazer Night Program

Sunday AM - Stop at Bridalveil Falls & hike on way out of park to SF

3 replies to this topic
Elk Grove...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
19,691 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: July Family 2-day Itinerary - Need Feedback

There is no shuttle to Vernal Fall. It can only be viewed on the Mist Trail. Mist Trail is strenuous because it has lots of steep steps and wet. But the distance is short if you only hike on it enough to see Vernal Fall close-up. (About 1 mile from the foot bridge, which is about 1 mile from Happy Isle (shuttle bus stop).

To Lower Yosemite Falls viewing platform - only a very short walk from the parking lot on paved paths.

You may as well see the Bridalveil Fall on the first day after Tunnel View on the way to Yosemite Valley. You will pass right through the entrance to the parking lot. Then you don't need to make a special trip there on Sunday going through the one-way loop.

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: July Family 2-day Itinerary - Need Feedback

Thank you for the feedback. I am nervous about the kids on Mist Trail. Any other suggestions on what we should do the afternoon on the second day after Yosemite Falls?

Elk Grove...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
19,691 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: July Family 2-day Itinerary - Need Feedback

I think kids 9 and 7 will be fine on the Mist Trail. Just exercise caution.

If you want some much easier walks, consider doing Mirror Lake, or just walk around the Swinging Bridge area, Mosley Meadow, etc. for the views.

Reply to: July Family 2-day Itinerary - Need Feedback
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted