We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

John Muir Trail/Mist Trail

6 posts
Save Topic
John Muir Trail/Mist Trail

Going to Yosemite in about a week. I had planned on us hiking the Mist Trail one day- go up Mist to top of Nevada Falls, then come back down JMT. However, I was reading the forums on here and saw mention of JMT being closed between Nevada and Clark point. The NPS website mentions the closure as well. No big deal- I know there are other routes to take, but I was a little bummed because I wanted to see that view of Nevada Falls with Liberty Cap behind it. I was browsing Instagram last night and notice several recent pictures of that view. I commented on one and they said yep- you can go all the way down the JMT. This is in conflict with what the NPS site says. I'm wondering if anyone here has any info. Looks like people are going down that section of it so I figure either they are bypassing closure gates, or the NPS hasn't updated the info on their website. Anyone been there recently?

Mentioned in this post
Mist Trail
Mist Trail
891 Reviews
Yosemite National Park, CA
3 replies to this topic
Atlanta area
Level Contributor
846 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: John Muir Trail/Mist Trail

As far as I know that section is closed. There are two views along that stretch of the JMT, both of which have Liberty Cap behind and to the left of Nevada Fall, so not sure which one you, or those other posters, are talking about. One of those views is at Clark Point, and you should be able to get there from the lower section of the JMT and from top of Vernal Fall even if the upper JMT section is in fact closed off. The other view is much further up, from a section called the Ice Cut, where the trail is cut into a cliff face -- this spot is very close to the top where the trail meets the Panorama, and in fact this is the exact spot that is in danger of rock fall that is the reason the trail is (potentially) closed in the first place.

If you want to verify call Yosemite NPS and follow the voice menu to speak to a ranger (though best to not try that until Monday, after the weekend has died down a bit.

And note that, other than these two views, the JMT from bottom of Vernal to top of Nevada is without views.

P.S. if the upper JMT section is in fact closed, your only choice from top of Nevada to top of Vernal is the Mist trail. And, ultimately, you may not need to get an answer to this question, just go and when you get to the top of Nevada you'll find out if you can descend the JMT from there or not.

Edited: 12 May 2018, 01:46
Mentioned in this post
Vernal Fall
Vernal Fall
1,272 Reviews
Mist Trail
Mist Trail
891 Reviews
Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
69,207 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: John Muir Trail/Mist Trail

If anyone is following this thread or 'lurking' and wondering about these sections, I think this map will help (it's about half way down the page)

https:/…closures.htm

6 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: John Muir Trail/Mist Trail

Thanks! Yes, it's the view from the Ice Cut. And you're right- we are doing it either way, so if we have to come back down Mist trail by Nevada falls, and cut across at Clark Point, it's no big deal. Although I think we'd all prefer coming down JMT the whole way to make it easier on the knees!

Mentioned in this post
Mist Trail
Mist Trail
891 Reviews
Reply to: John Muir Trail/Mist Trail
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted