We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mother's Day

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
212 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Mother's Day

I'm going to be in Bass Lake this Saturday for the Yosemite 1/2 marathon. I would like to visit Yosemite Valley on Sunday (Mothers Day). It will be my first time to Yosemite.

1. What time should we arrive Sunday morning in order to avoid all the traffic? Will there be heavy traffic leaving in the afternoon?

2. What is the best parking lot option to catch the shuttle?

3. Which waterfall trails are an easy walk? My husband had back surgery 3 weeks ago and he is able to walk but I wouldn't want to do anything too strenuous. Are these waterfall trails accessible by the shuttle?

4. I read that there are food options...where are those located? Are they accessible by the shuttle as well?

Mentioned in this post
Bass Lake
Bass Lake
California
Yosemite Valley
Yosemite Valley
5,752 Reviews
Yosemite National Park, CA
6 replies to this topic
Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
67,141 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mother's Day

Hi

You can't avoid the traffic. Not possible. Yes, there will be heavy traffic leaving on Sunday.

Park at the Yosemite Falls parking lot (if it's open ... resurfacing going on) or the large Yosemite Village parking lot. I'd recommend being in the parking lot by 9 am at the latest. Yosemite Falls parking lot is in a better location for departure. Both are on the shuttle route.

If you stop at Tunnel View (15 min) and Bridalveil Fall (15-20 min), that's about 2 hours to drive from the Hwy 41 intersection with Bass Lake turnoff to the parking lot in Yosemite Valley.

Lower Yosemite Falls is the easiest walk; it's wheelchair accessible.

Mirror lake/Meadow is a nice walk as well.

Shuttle map in the Top Questions on the right.

Recent thread about Lunch Options in Yosemite (there will be lines & crowds) tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g61000-i315-k11538…

Mentioned in this post
Yosemite Falls
Yosemite Falls
2,023 Reviews
Yosemite Village
Yosemite Village
447 Reviews
Tunnel View
Tunnel View
2,592 Reviews
Bass Lake
Bass Lake
California
Yosemite Valley
Yosemite Valley
5,752 Reviews
Los Angeles
Level Contributor
212 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mother's Day

Thanks for the info. PacificNWFamily...Are tunnel view and Bridal Veil Falls before the entrance to the park? Honestly my family may be happy just visiting Bridal Veil falls and turning around if the parking and shuttle situation is going to be a 3 ring circus.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
67,141 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mother's Day

Those maps in the Top Questions will help.

The South Entrance is just past Fish Camp.

Yosemite Valley is about an hour away. Just as you're getting close to the Valley, you go through the Wawona Tunnel. Tunnel View is immediately on the other side of the tunnel; parking for your travel direction is on the right.

Bridaveil Fall is about 2 more miles down the road.

From there, the one way roads begin that go into (east) Yosemite Valley and then exit one-way west.

Mentioned in this post
Fish Camp
Fish Camp
California
Yosemite Valley
Yosemite Valley
5,752 Reviews
Wawona
Wawona
Tunnel View
Tunnel View
2,592 Reviews
Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Lodi
Level Contributor
2,273 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mother's Day

You might consider a drive to Hetch Hetchy and hike back to Wapama Falls. It’s a 5 mile round trip with beautiful views of Yosemite’s sister valley the City of San Francisco unscrupulously damned and flooded for drinking water over 100 years ago. Bring a picnic lunch and water as your not allowed to touch the pristine drinking water in the reservoir.

Mentioned in this post
California
Level Contributor
42 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mother's Day

For #3 - we did the Lower Yosemite Falls trail with two young kids (ages 2 & 5) and a stroller. It was a very easy walk. There was a shuttle stop near the trailhead. Glacier Point also was easy. You take a shuttle to the top (I think there may be parking at the top too but when we got there it was full). There are some well-paved trails to wander around or you can just enjoy the view from the top. It's not a "waterfall" trail per se, but you can see the whole valley with the waterfalls in the distance.

For #4, we ate at Degnan's Deli when we were in the valley, which was right by a shuttle stop. We also ate at the restaurant at the top of Glacier Point which was near the shuttle drop off point and right by the lookout spots.

If you look at the shuttle map, it will show you where the various places to eat are and what the closest shuttle stop is. We went by convenience.

Mentioned in this post
Yosemite Falls
Yosemite Falls
2,023 Reviews
Glacier Point
Glacier Point
4,023 Reviews
Andalucia, Spain
Level Contributor
1,901 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mother's Day

Last June, we arrived IN THE VALLEY at 7am. It was still quiet and peaceful. The parking lots were empty. By 9:30am when we went to move our RV from the roadside parking spot to our campsite, it was gridlock coming in to the park and parking lots were filling up. Traffic was pretty much gone by about 7:30 or 8pm each night and the parking lots were once again empty. We always headed out around 7 to do a quick evening walk and had no issues.

Reply to: Mother's Day
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted