We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tioga Road / June Visit

Level Contributor
42 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Tioga Road / June Visit

Hi, just a couple of questions here. I visited Yosemite in early August last year and loved it so much that I am planning on returning the first week in June of this year.

The NPS website says Tioga is closed for the SEASON. Does this mean that it won’t open until Summer officially starts (June 21 at the earliest), or is it more of a “closed until further notice” situation? I see they have the past dates for when it opens, which usually occurs around mid May, so I have hope.. but I do remember when I went last year it opened very, very late. Either way, not a huge hit to my trip — I am planning my trip so that we don’t have to take tioga, but I wouldn’t mind driving back to mammoth lakes if it’s open.

For those of you that have visited in early June, should I except the same level of traffic as I would in early August (e.g. valley AND glacier point closed by 10 a.m. because parking is full)? I learned the hard way about the traffic last year, but was able to adjust and get time in the valley. I am trying to do a week day, as I’m sure it gets a lot busier on the weekends.

2 replies to this topic
Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
69,919 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tioga Road / June Visit

Hi

The historic data shows the dates for the seasonal closure. Folks are guessing that Tioga Pass Road will open earlier than the median date as the snowpack on April 1 was only 67% of normal.

No shuttles from Badger Pass to Glacier Point this year, so I think traffic will be worse. But there are fewer visitors in June compared to August, so parking areas won't fill as early. Note that the Valley doesn't close and Glacier Point doesn't close; it's just that the traffic rangers won't let you drive to those destinations when the parking lots are full.

Elk Grove...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
19,657 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tioga Road / June Visit

The game of "educated" speculation...

Last year we had a massive amount of snow. Snow level was at unusual high level. Thus Tioga Road was not open until late June, understandably.

This year we did not have anywhere close to that amount of snow. But... there was some late snow storms... as late as near end of April - unusually late. It impedes the snow plowing efforts and gives more snow to clear.

If you just look at the time difference between Glacier Point Road opening and Tioga Road opening, Glacier Point Road was always opened earlier because it has a short distance to plow. By a couple of weeks, and rarely more than 30 days. It was opened on April 28 this year, using that as a guide there is a good chance Tioga Roa may be open around or before May 28.

"Official summer" is a man-made calendar. Nature doesn't follow anybody's calendar. It does what it does.

Reply to: Tioga Road / June Visit
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted