We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

May 29th...Drive or tour

Tuscaloosa, Alabama
Level Contributor
1 post
384 reviews
Save Topic
May 29th...Drive or tour

Hi...I'm staying at Half Dome Village, 2 adults w/ a 15 yr & 10 yr old. Checking in on May 28th & departing on the 29th.

I am concerned about the traffic and parking at Glacier Point on the 29th. We are willing to leave early for Glacier Point from the Village, but how early? 7am?

I have booked the bus tour, but the tour really limits the things you can do while at the Point.

Any insights on driving vs the bus is greatly appreciated....

Mentioned in this post
Half Dome Village
Half Dome Village
3,918 Reviews
Yosemite National Park, CA
Glacier Point
Glacier Point
4,156 Reviews
The Village Lodge
The Village Lodge
934 Reviews
Mammoth Lakes, CA
3 replies to this topic
Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
32,097 posts
6,325 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: May 29th...Drive or tour

Unless you are hiking, the things to do at the point are limited even with a car.

You will get the same panoramic amazing view.

With May 29 being Labor Day, stay with the tour.

We have been to Yosemite on these week-ends, and it can get very crowded at Glacier Point.

The rangers will close the road to additional visitors if capacity is met.

Have a good time.

Keep the tour and enjoy.

Mentioned in this post
Glacier Point
Glacier Point
4,156 Reviews
LA
Level Contributor
11,473 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: May 29th...Drive or tour

May 29 is the day after Memorial Day

It might be less crowded than the weekend

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
69,225 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: May 29th...Drive or tour

Hi

Curry Village / HalfDomeVillage is as far east into the Valley as possible, so driving out of the Valley is often crowded & slow. If you head out by 7:30 am on Tuesday May 29, you probably won't experience any traffic delays for the entire drive. I'd suggest stopping at Bridalveil Fall & walking up, then at Tunnel View for a few photos, and then continuing to the Chinquapin intersection of Wawona Road / Hwy 41 and Glacier Point Road. It is here that traffic rangers *might* stop folks from driving up Glacier Point Road. But at this time of morning, there should be plenty of space to park at Glacier Point and you can drive up the road all the way to Glacier Point.

There is a great hike along this road that ends on the top of Sentinel Dome. The main trailhead to the top is 1.1 miles but that small parking lot fills early. If you want to hike up, I recommend the Shortcut parking. You can hike up Sentinel Dome either before or after your viewing time at Glacier Point.

This is what I would do, but of course this is your trip and you get to choose.

- Stop at Washburn Point. Walk to the view point and look far far to the right to see Illilouette Fall. Also view Nevada Fall & Vernal Fall.

- Drive on to Glacier Point and park in the upper lot (loop around.) Walk to all viewpoints. Check out the Geology Hut.

- Drive to the Sentinel Dome Shortcut Parking and walk less than 1.5 miles roundtrip.

- Drive down Glacier Point Road & continue with planned tourism.

The Top Questions on the right side of this forum page has more info including details about the Shortcut Parking.

Mentioned in this post
Tunnel View
Tunnel View
2,699 Reviews
Wawona
Wawona
Glacier Point
Glacier Point
4,156 Reviews