We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary

Washington DC...
10 posts
Save Topic
Itinerary

My family will be driving into the Yosemite area on June 20th. We have a tour booked from Tenaya Lodge on the 21st. What areas of the park do you suggest we explore on the 20th and 22nd?

Mentioned in this post
Tenaya Lodge at Yosemite
Tenaya Lodge at Yosemite
5,439 Reviews
Fish Camp, CA
5 replies to this topic
Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,872 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary

Where will you be coming from to get to Yosemite? You may be able to explore along the Tioga Pass Road or perhaps Glacier Point on the 20th.

You say "my family", is this very young children, elderly parents, a busload of aunts and uncles and cousins? What do you like to do? Do you want to drive somewhere, take some pictures, and move on or are you looking for suggestions for hikes? Do you have children that would want to take part in the Junior Ranger program (assuming you have the necessary time to complete the activities)?

You will be there at a great time of year so some suggestions would be to check out Bridalveil and Yosemite waterfalls. You may like to hike the Upper Yosemite Falls trail to Columbia Rock or beyond, depending on your group and your desire for hiking. You may want to go along the Mist Trail to the Vernal Fall footbridge or beyond (again, depends on your group). Are you keen photographers and want to try and capture an award-winning shot of the sunset colours reflecting off Half Dome.

Don't forget to check out the delightful Yosemite Chapel. There will probably be Ranger programs running that you might enjoy - this page will give you the Yosemite guides from last year: and might give you some ideas: https:/…guide.htm

When you arrive on the 20th you could also check out the Yosemite Valley Visitor Centre for more inspiration.

Mentioned in this post
Tioga Pass
Tioga Pass
1,040 Reviews
Yosemite National Park, CA
Glacier Point
Glacier Point
4,156 Reviews
Yosemite Falls
Yosemite Falls
2,089 Reviews
Mist Trail
Mist Trail
891 Reviews
Vernal Fall
Vernal Fall
1,272 Reviews
Half Dome
Half Dome
1,339 Reviews
Yosemite Valley
Yosemite Valley
5,943 Reviews
Washington DC...
10 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary

Great suggestions! My husband and I will be traveling with our two children, ages twelve and nine. We would like to do some hiking but there is so much to see I am just trying to narrow down where is best to spend our time. The full day tour takes us to see Yosemite Falls, Half Dime, El Capitan, Tunnel View, Bridevail Falls, Glacier Point and maybe Mariposa Grove. I thought about starting out walking around Mariposa Grove on the first day since the if the tour goes there it will be quick and we probably won’t get out.

Mentioned in this post
Yosemite Falls
Yosemite Falls
2,089 Reviews
El Capitan
El Capitan
1,144 Reviews
Tunnel View
Tunnel View
2,699 Reviews
Glacier Point
Glacier Point
4,156 Reviews
Mariposa
Mariposa
California
Washington DC...
10 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary

And to answer your other question- we all live photography!

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
69,162 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary

I would not take a tour. Drive yourselves and spend time in the places that are appealing to you.

Have you had a chance to read the relevant topics in the Top Questions on the right?

Glacier Point has numerous excellent views, and Sentinel Dome hike (or shortcut hike) is a marvelous viewpoint & wonderful hike. Read the Glacier Point Road topic.

For your extended Valley tourism, park the car (Yosemite Falls parking is my suggestion) and use the free shuttles, your feet, or rental bikes to get around.

Mentioned in this post
Glacier Point
Glacier Point
4,156 Reviews
Sentinel Dome
Sentinel Dome
673 Reviews
Yosemite Falls
Yosemite Falls
2,089 Reviews