We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Breakfast at Yosemite Valley Lodge after Oct. 15.

Level Contributor
108 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Breakfast at Yosemite Valley Lodge after Oct. 15.

The latest Yosemite Valley Guide, Oct – Nov, shows that the food court at the Lodge is closed after Oct. 15, is this an annual closure? We are staying at the Lodge for three nights beginning Oct. 30. We have a reservation for breakfast at the Majestic on Halloween morning to explore the old “Ahwahnee”. What are our options for the two other mornings? It looks to me like only option in the Valley is Degnan’s. We understand that there is a small refrigerator and coffee maker in the rooms. Should we bring additional food for breakfast? We already planned to bring something for some lunches. On Nov. 1 we hope to drive to Glacier Point (weather permitting) then to Big Trees for one of our lunches and to check out another historic building. Will the crowds be thin enough when we are visiting that parking throughout the park will not be a problem?

11 replies to this topic
Visalia...
Level Contributor
234 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Breakfast at Yosemite Valley Lodge after Oct. 15.

I don't know the answer to your question about the food court, but I would probably just bring some simple things for breakfast - yogurt, instant oatmeal, etc. When we stayed at Big Trees over the summer, we hard-boiled eggs before we left on Friday and had those the next morning before our hike. I'm guessing from your screen name that you live in California, so you could easily do something like that before you leave home. Gets you out on the trails a lot faster than having to go somewhere and pay $$ for basically the same things you could bring from home!

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
64,591 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Breakfast at Yosemite Valley Lodge after Oct. 15.

I am trying to find an answer as this is a great question. The concessionaire must have ideas for the hundreds of guests at the Yosemite Valley Lodge. Walking a mile or riding the shuttle to Degnan's Kitchen in Yosemite Village seems to be the closest option.

Level Contributor
108 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Breakfast at Yosemite Valley Lodge after Oct. 15.

Thank you Shelly for the suggestion. I began thinking after posting my question last night of bringing a frittata for breakfasts. Eating in the room maybe better than the food court anyway.

PacificNWF, I just got off the phone with Aramark. They say the breakfast will be moved to the Garden Terrace. Not sure exactly sure that is, hopefully inside because warm mornings aren’t expected. They will be doing a renovation to the food court. The start date is tentatively set to Oct. 15 but may be later. I didn’t ask for clarification for lunch and dinner maybe you can get that information.

My wife has mobility problems. We can take the bus but driving from sight to sight would be better. Will the crowds from Oct 30 through Nov 2 be light enough so parking will be fairly easy to find?

Funny, we are going on to Death Valley where remodeling is altering the dining situation. We originally planned on 2 nights in DV but due to the chance that Tioga Pass may be closed and the food situation we have cut that to one. We now plan on a night in Lone Pine or Ridgecrest, depending on what route we need to take out of Yosemite, before going into DV.

Washington State
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
64,591 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Breakfast at Yosemite Valley Lodge after Oct. 15.

>>We can take the bus but driving from sight to sight would be better.<<

I don't think parking is ever easy to find, but if you have a disabled placard you should find parking a bit more easily.

Note that the bus is the fee two hour Valley Floor Tour. The free shuttle is the option folks take to all the trailheads & viewpoints. Some of the shuttles are wheelchair accessible, if she uses a chair.

Do you know that you can drive past the Hikers Parking Lot (east of Curry Village / HalfDomeVillage) to Happy Isles? This is usually just used by shuttles.) Then you can continue around to the Mirror (lake)Meadow trailhead and drive part way out the old Mirror Lake Road. Again, this is only open to folks with the disabled placard. And there will be folks walking on this road, so be careful.

www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g61000-c156159

Map: https:/…valleyshuttle.pdf (El Capitan shuttle won't be running then.)

Drive yourselves up to Tunnel View and to Glacier Point. I think stopping at Washburn Point is also good, but I haven't paid attention to access for the mobility challenged visitors.

Level Contributor
108 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Breakfast at Yosemite Valley Lodge after Oct. 15.

Thank you for the information, PNWF. We do have a parking placard. My wife does not use a wheelchair. She has PD and sometimes she moves better than others. I have been able to find quite a bit of information but your link to the Tripadvisor page about persons with disabilities is new to us and looks very helpful.

Your tip that we can drive to Happy Isles Loop Rd. is great. Let me see if I understand you completely: We are allowed to drive on the loop past shuttle stops 15, 16, 17, 18, etc. At stop #16 we are allowed to turn and drive to the Nature Center and park there? Near stop #17 we can turn right and follow the road to the toilets near Mirror Lake, that are shown on the Shuttle map, to park? We will check this with the rangers at the visitor center when arrive.

On the day we plan to drive to Glacier Point we planned to stop at Tunnel View and Washburn Point. Google street view shows placard parking at both.

Washington State
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
64,591 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Breakfast at Yosemite Valley Lodge after Oct. 15.

Hi again

Yes, drive past the "road closed" sign (this view is 10 years old, but basically it's the same) just past Curry Village / HalfDomeVillage. https://goo.gl/maps/C4ZW63AWtRG2

There is a small bit of parking just across the street from the shuttle parking at Shuttle Stop 16. (That's where I've seen cars. When I was driving a person w/ a disabled placard, we did not stop.)

Map https://goo.gl/maps/VREBLj9pGtQ2

Then you can drive about up to the restroom building for Mirror lake/Meadow. There is space for two cars.

I don't think there is a ramp to get down to the 'better' viewpoint at Washburn Point. But if your wife can do some steps, then go all the way to the right and look right for a view of Illilouette Fall. It's not visible from Glacier Point.

Level Contributor
108 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Breakfast at Yosemite Valley Lodge after Oct. 15.

PNWF, thank you once again.

Washington State
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
64,591 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Breakfast at Yosemite Valley Lodge after Oct. 15.

You're welcome.

I hope that after your trip you'll have time to write a trip report. We don't hear from many folks who visit in the fall nor from many who have a Disabled Placard. Your feedback could help the community.

Have a great time!

Level Contributor
108 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Breakfast at Yosemite Valley Lodge after Oct. 15.

I'll try to file a report after our trip. This trip includes Death Valley, Las Vegas, Grand Canyon, Palm Springs, L.A. and Pismo Beach. I won't be posting a report before mid November.

It's my first trip to Yosemite since the early 70's. On that trip my roommate and I left San Francisco early in the morning hiked up past Vernal and Nevada Falls and spent the night in Little Yosemite Valley. The next morning we climbed the Half Dome cable and returned to spend the night in the Valley. Things are easier when you are young. Now I'm surprised to find you need to win the lottery to climb the cable.

We had a place in Tahoe for about 40 years so never got back to Yosemite. I continued to ski long after my wife no longer did. Two years ago it became more important to me to spend time with my wife, so we sold. Now we're going to visit other places.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park
Level Contributor
15,703 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Breakfast at Yosemite Valley Lodge after Oct. 15.

** Fairfax said: “Funny, we are going on to Death Valley where remodeling is altering the dining situation. We originally planned on 2 nights in DV but due to the chance that Tioga Pass may be closed and the food situation we have cut that to one. We now plan on a night in Lone Pine or Ridgecrest, depending on what route we need to take out of Yosemite, before going into DV.” **

If this trip is in October, the chances of Tioga being closed are extremely small. A short closure can happen if there is a sudden fall snowstorm; this did happen a week or so ago, for maybe a day.

I have been trying to learn more about the status of the renovations at Furnace Creek Inn & Ranch (now being called “The Oasis at Death Valley” – but if you say Furnace Creek, EVERYONE knows what you mean). They have a page on their website where they promise to keep us informed, but nothing new has appeared on it for months.

http://www.oasisatdeathvalley.com/renovation/

Due to the renovation, I don’t know the dates for the Inn to open for lodging or dining; it’s usually mid-October. All Ranch facilities are open year-round, and they have a temporary restaurant called the Date Grove Diner with a limited menu. The Timbisha Shoshone Village just south of the Ranch sells Indian tacos and frybread. The other major resort, Stovepipe Wells Village, has a restaurant with a fun (and historic – timbers from a historic Death Valley mine were used in the dining room) Western décor and good food; it’s 25 miles northwest of Furnace Creek on Hwy 190.

Hopefully Tioga Pass will be open so you can enjoy the Yosemite high country around Tuolumne Meadows as well as the Eastern Sierra route to Death Valley. Mono Lake is worth a couple of hours or more, and then you have June Lakes, Mammoth, Devil’s Postpile if it is open (closes in winter except for snowshoe or ski access, and winter CAN come in October), Bishop, the Laws Museum, Independence, Manzanar, and all the good things around Lone Pine – I have a “Users’ Guide to Lone Pine” on that forum).

Ridgecrest is a rather unexciting place. It’s a medium size city of about 75,000 people, not close to the mountains, with little in the way of scenery or visitor interest other than Maturango Museum. Most of the lodgings are not near downtown – and downtown is not exactly an inspiring area. If you have to leave Yosemite on the west and go via Bakersfield and the south end of the Sierra on Hwy 58 or 178, you can still choose either Ridgecrest or Lone Pine. Lone Pine would add about 60 miles and be a more enjoyable place to stay, a walkable town with Main Street USA ambience. mainly locally owned businesses, scads of people out and about – this is the gateway town for both Death Valley and Mt. Whitney and a magnet for international visitors. All lodgings except for Best Western and Comfort Inn are a short walk from the main business district.

Reply to: Breakfast at Yosemite Valley Lodge after Oct. 15.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted