We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A few days in the park, up Tioga road?

3 posts
1 review
A few days in the park, up Tioga road?

Hi

After some of your experienced opinions!

We are in the park staying at Half dome village for 2.5 days and are thinking...

9/21 - arrive in the afternoon 4ish, cooks meadow/sentinel loop - take some food/beer have a picnic watch the sunset

9/22 up early and up Tioga Road to hike North Dome, lunch up there, head back then head up to Olmsted Point for a sunset, back to the valley later to miss the traffic

9/23 Explore the valley, (mist trail/lunch/bridevail falls) drive out late afternoon Via Glacier point

Do you think this is too rushed/missing anything we should see on Tioga Road, keen to soak it all in not try and rush around seeing everything!

Thanks in advance

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
70,821 posts
123 reviews
1. Re: A few days in the park, up Tioga road?

Hi

I think it's pretty good. Here are the changes I'd suggest:

9/21: detour or stop at Tunnel View, then Bridalveil Fall. Then drive on to Curry Village / HalfDomeVillage. I assume you're using the free shuttle to get around for your picnic dinner; don't move the car!

9/22: Keep an eye on the official forecast https:/…weathermap.htm There is currently a 20% chance of snowshowers. If it's snowy, maybe plan two shorter hikes in Tuolumne Meadows instead (so you're closer to the car if it really starts to dump snow!) But maybe drive most of the way up Tioga Road to soak in the beauty.

9/23: Stop at Valley View on your way out. Then Bridalveil is on the exit drive from Yosemite Valley, if you didn't stop on 9/21. Maybe stop at Tunnel View again. And remember to check the weather and road conditions.

Redlands, California
Level Contributor
6,216 posts
58 reviews
2. Re: A few days in the park, up Tioga road?

North Dome trailhead is west of the Tuolomne Meadows and it would be worth while to make time for a drive up and back to the Meadows. A brief stop at Tenaya Lake is a must. I like PNWF's suggestion too--Pothole Dome in the Meadow is a personal favorite.

North Dome is a nice hike, there's a steep bit if you want to see the Arch but otherwise it is a pleasasnt "stroll" with a big payoff.

3 posts
1 review
3. Re: A few days in the park, up Tioga road?

Thanks so much, seems cray about snow, its sunny and 27 degrees in Australia today!

Redlands, California
Level Contributor
6,216 posts
58 reviews
4. Re: A few days in the park, up Tioga road?

It was beautiful today in Mammoth Lakes (sunny and 65F) and tomorrow should be fine, but you will see chillier temperatures for sure. Just be flexible and enjoy--I live 5 hours from Yosemite and. My summer temps average about 35-37C, so cold is good! I'm loving the chance to bundle up!

3 posts
1 review
5. Re: A few days in the park, up Tioga road?

Just wanted to say thanks for your advice - had an amazing time.

Turned up, raining and cold in the Valley - snow up top.

North Dome was a highlight with snow through the forrest, deer and squirrels, amazing views.

Vernal and Nevada falls flowing strongly from the storm, saw a bear, bob cat and deer, not a lot of people!

Went up to Glacier point one afternoon for the sunset, great talk by a ranger and surreal with snow on the ground, yet fires still smouldering from back burning!

For a couple whose lives are more beach orientated this really was an amazing time

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
70,821 posts
123 reviews
6. Re: A few days in the park, up Tioga road?

Thanks for reporting back. Sounds like a wonderful visit!

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
32,868 posts
6,430 reviews
7. Re: A few days in the park, up Tioga road?

Thanks for letting us know that you had a such a nice trip.

8. Re: A few days in the park, up Tioga road?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2018, 15:17